David B. Samadi
A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (May 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|David B. Samadi|
B.S. Stony Brook University|
M.D. Montefiore Medical Center
Henri Mondor - Creteil, France
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
Chairman of Urology Dept. at Lenox Hill Hospital|
Chief of Robotic Surgery
Fox News Contributor and member of Medical A Team
Chief Medical Correspondent AM 970 NYC
David B. Samadi is a celebrity doctor and is the Chairman of Urology, Chief of Robotic Surgery at Lenox Hill Hospital. He is a board-certified urologist trained in the diagnosis and treatment of urologic diseases, prostate cancer, kidney cancer and bladder cancer, and specializes in advanced minimally invasive treatments for prostate cancer, including laparoscopic radical prostatectomy and laparoscopic robotic radical prostatectomy.
Born and raised in the Persian Jewish community of [[Iran]in the year july 20 1962 coming to the United States where Samadi completed high school in Roslyn, New York. After high school, Samadi attended Stony Brook University and earned his degree in biochemistry on a full scholarship. He earned his M.D from S.U.N.Y., Stony Brook School of Medicine, Stony Brook, New York in 1994. Samadi completed his postgraduate training in urology at Montefiore Medical Center and in proctology at Albert Einstein College of Medicine in 1996 and Montefiore Medical Center in 2000. He completed an oncology fellowship in proctology at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in 2001 and a robotic radical prostatectomy fellowship at Henri Mondor Hospital Creteil in France under the mentorship of Professor Claude Abbou in 2002.
He first practiced at Columbia Presbyterian Hospital, then joined the faculty of Mt. Sinai School of Medicine in 2007 where he became the Vice Chair of the Department of Urology, and the Chief of Robotics and Minimally Invasive Surgery. In 2012, he was the highest paid doctor in New York City, earning $7.6 million.
On August 27, 2013, Samadi appeared as a guest on a segment of the Fox & Friends morning television show to discuss whether women should pay more than men for health insurance. Samadi argued that women pay more for health insurance because they tend to use the health care system more than men.
Samadi's comments attracted criticism online.
Samadi visited the Mediterranean Hospital of Cyprus in July 2015 to perform surgeries and educate doctors about robotic procedures.
On March 12, 2017 the Boston Globe reported that Samadi is under investigation for a practice of booking multiple simultaneous surgeries and having medical residents perform many of the surgeries without proper supervision or training, while promising patients that he will personally treat them. In October 2017 the NY Post published an article noting that the investigation was ongoing, and also noted that although both Lenox Hill Hospital and Samadi's marketing material said that he was an associate professor at Hofstra/Northwell School of Medicine, he actually had no such appointment as of the date the article went to press.
He invented the Samadi Modified Advanced Robotic Treatment for prostate cancer surgeries. The technique was designed to replace open surgery with a minimally invasive alternative using the da Vinci Surgical System.
- Hoznek, András; Zaki, Safwat K.; Samadi, David B.; Salomon, Laurent; Lobontiu, Adrian; Lang, Philippe; Abbou, Clément-Claude (2002). "Robotic assisted kidney transplantation: an initial experience". The Journal of Urology. 167 (4): 1604–6. doi:10.1016/S0022-5347(05)65162-2. PMID 11912372.
- Herman, MP; Raman, JD; Dong, S; Samadi, D; Scherr, DS (2007). "Increasing body mass index negatively impacts outcomes following robotic radical prostatectomy". JSLS. 11 (4): 438–42. PMC . PMID 18246641.
- Samadi, David; Levinson, Adam; Hakimi, Ari; Shabsigh, Ridwan; Benson, Mitchell C. (2007). "From proficiency to expert, when does the learning curve for robotic-assisted prostatectomies plateau? The Columbia University experience". World Journal of Urology. 25 (1): 105–10. doi:10.1007/s00345-006-0137-4. PMID 17192816.
- Capodice, Jillian L.; Jin, Zhezhen; Bemis, Debra L.; Samadi, David; Stone, Brian A.; Kapan, Steven; Katz, Aaron E. (2007). "A pilot study on acupuncture for lower urinary tract symptoms related to chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain". Chinese medicine. 2: 1. doi:10.1186/1749-8546-2-1. PMC . PMID 17284322.
- Pinkhasov, Ruben M; Shteynshlyuger, Alex; Hakimian, Payam; Lindsay, Gaius K; Samadi, David B; Shabsigh, Ridwan. "Are men shortchanged on health? Perspective on life expectancy, morbidity, and mortality in men and women in the United States". International journal of clinical practice. 64 (4): 465–474.
- Brajtbord, Jonathan S.; Lavery, Hugh J.; Nabizada-Pace, Fatima; Senaratne, Prathibha; Samadi, David B. (2010). "Endorectal magnetic resonance imaging has limited clinical ability to preoperatively predict pT3 prostate cancer". Department of Urology, the Mount Sinai Medical Center, New York, NY.
- Lavery, HJ; Brajtbord, JS; Levinson, AW; Nabizada-Pace, F; Pollard, ME; Samadi, DB (2011). "Unnecessary imaging for the staging of low-risk prostate cancer is common". Urology. 77 (2): 274–8. doi:10.1016/j.urology.2010.07.491. PMID 20932557.
- Lavery, HJ; Small, AC; Samadi, DB; Palese, MA (2011). "Transition from laparoscopic to robotic partial nephrectomy: the learning curve for an experienced laparoscopic surgeon". Journal of the Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons. 15 (3): 291–7. doi:10.4293/108680811X13071180407357. PMC . PMID 21985712.
- Bernstein, Adrien N.; Lavery, Hugh J.; Hobbs, Adele R.; Chin, Edward; Samadi, David B. (2013). "Robot-assisted laparoscopic prostatectomy and previous surgical history: a multidisciplinary approach". Journal of Robotic Surgery. 7 (2): 143–151. doi:10.1007/s11701-012-0358-z.
- Leapman, Michael; Kwon, Young Suk; Collingwood, Shemille A.; Chin, Edward; Katsigeorgis, Maria; Hobbs, Adele R.; Samadi, David B. (2014). "Robotic Assisted Laparoscopic Prostatectomy in Men with Proctocolectomy and Resotorative Ileal Pouch-Anal Anastomosis". Case Reports in Urology. 2014: 2. doi:10.1155/2014/538382.
- "He's a celebrated urologist, but authorities are investigating his surgical practice - The Boston Globe". BostonGlobe.com. Retrieved 2017-03-12.
- Gupte, Pranay (January 17, 2006). "Doctor Discusses Plans To Perform Tele-Surgery". The New York Sun.
- "David B. Samadi M.D.: Executive Profile & Biography". Bloomberg. Retrieved 24 April 2017.
- Fern Siman for Jewish Voice NY. July 10, 2013. Sitting on Top of the World with Dr. David Samadi
- Melissa Klein for the NY Post. April 13, 2014 City’s hospital specialists are raking in millions of dollars
- Brian Kilmeade, Gretchen Carlson, David Samadi (August 27, 2013). Fox and Friends (TV). New York: Fox News. 23:30–27:15 minutes in. Archived from the original on August 27, 2013.
- Greenfield, Beth (August 28, 2013). "Fox News Contributor's 'Sexist' Comments on Women's Health Care Spark Outrage". Yahoo!. Archived from the original on August 28, 2013. Retrieved August 28, 2013.
- Sriram, Sandhya (19 July 2015). "New Dr David B. Samadi Institute of Robotic Surgery at the Mediterranean Hospital of Cyprus". Biotech in Asia.
- "One of city's highest-paid surgeons allegedly overcharges patients". New York Post. 2017-10-15. Retrieved 2017-12-16.
- Ferguson, Michael (13 October 2014). "Experience Matters: David B. Samadi, MD — Advancing Robotic Prostate Surgeries Worldwide". MD News.