Habiger was born in Joliet, Illinois. His father is a mechanical engineer and entrepreneur. In the late 1970s, his mother was engaged in the computer revolution and introduced Dave to technology at an early age. He received a bachelor's degree from St. Norbert College and began producing documentaries after graduation. In 1991 he founded Providence Productions, which focused on funding, producing, and distributing documentaries. In 1997, he received his MBA from the University of Chicago.
He began working with the founding members of Sonic Solutions (NASDAQ: SNIC) in 1992, where he served as President and Chief Executive Officer. He was instrumental in its initial public offering. Under his leadership, Sonic became one of the largest global providers of premium movies and TV shows via the Web and CE devices. He emphasizes engineering excellence and empowering the engineers in an organization. Since its IPO, the company generated over $1.5 billion in revenue in the digital media category and has been named one of Forbes, Fortune and Business Week’s Fastest Growing Companies on multiple occasions. Sonic opened the NASDAQ market in 2008 and 2010. Habiger in 2011 sold Sonic to Rovi Corporation (NASDAQ: ROVI) and later that year was appointed as NDS Chief Executive Officer. Shortly after filing with the SEC for its NYSE-listed IPO, Habiger announced the sale of NDS to Cisco for $5 billion; the sale was closed in the second half of 2012. He is founder and partner at Silicon Media Partners. He is a Senior Advisor to Silver Lake Partners and a Venture Partner at Pritzker Group.
Habiger has been involved in electric cars since the early 2000s, with ownership in several Electric Vehicle businesses. He was Chairman for the Chicago Electric Vehicle Commission under Mayor Richard M. Daley's administration. He is a member of the Society of Automotive Engineers.
In 2011, he was named an Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year. In 2008, he was chosen as one of Corporate Leader Magazine’s 40 under 40 business leaders and regularly appears as an industry expert on major media outlets including: CNBC, CNN, Fox, USA Today, TheStreet.Com, and Bloomberg TV. The Hollywood Reporter chose him as one of 2010’s Digital Power 50. Between March 2009 and March 2011 he oversaw a 2388% increase in Sonic’s market capitalization as the company reinvented its core business. He sold Sonic to Rovi Corporation (NASDAQ: ROVI) in early 2011 at a 66% premium - slightly under 1 billion dollars after stock adjustments to the deal. He is a member of the National Association of Corporate Directors, as well as a member of the Silicon Valley Leadership Group and for the Center for Corporate Innovation. Habiger is a member of the RealD (NASDAQ: RLD) board. He is a member of the Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers. Habiger serves as a director on the boards of Control4(NASDAQ: CTRL), Echo Global (NASDAQ: ECHO), Klein Tools, Follett Corporation, and Digital Smiths. Beginning in 2012, he also served as a board member and then as CEO of Textura Corp. (NYSE: TXTR) until its June 2016 sale to Oracle.
Habiger sits on the advisory boards for the Heroic Imagination Project, the University of Chicago, and the Network for Teaching Entrepreneurship, which provides entrepreneurial education to young people from low-income communities. He is also a member of the board of directors for the Hinsdale Historical Society.
- "Pushing On". Smart Business.
- "Conversations from St. Norbert College featuring David Habiger". St. Norbert College.
- "Speech at the Independent Film and Television Alliance".
- "Alumni Perspective on Software". Success: Stories from Chicago GSB Executive MBA Graduates.
- "Interview with the Sonic Solutions CEO". San Francisco Business Times Interview. 2007-04-22.
- "American Executive: Sonic Solutions".
- Murdock, Paul M.; Ray, John J. (2007-02-12). "Ultrahigh Performance". Forbes Magazine February 12, 2007.
- "Sonic Solutions is Ready for Digital Movies to Heat Up". USA Today 9-2-09. 2009-09-02.
- "CEO Dave Habiger Sonic Solutions Open the NASDAQ". NASDAQ 6-5-09.
- "CEO Dave Habiger Sonic Solutions NASDAQ Open". NASDAQ 10-21-10.
- "Dave Habiger Appointed CEO of NDS Group Ltd". NDS Website.
- "Dave Habiger Appoint CEO of NDS Group Ltd". CNBC.
- "Cisco announces plans to buy NDS for $5 billion". ZdNet.
- "Dave Habiger NDS Group CEO and SNIC CEO, Ernst and Young Award". Sonic Youtube Channel.
- "40 CEOs Under 40". Corporate Leader Magazine.
- "Dave Habiger Sonic not Burgers". CNBC.
- "Dave Habiger CEO of Sonic on CNN Money". CNN.
- "Dave Habiger Fox Business". Fox News.
- "Dave Habiger on Fox Business News". Fox News 9-1-2009.
- "Dave Habiger USA Today". USA Today. 2010-10-21.
- "Dave Habiger USA Today". USA Today. 2009-09-02.
- "40 under 40 on Bloomberg TV". Bloomberg News Evening Edition.
- "Dave Habiger Interview on Bloomberg". Bloomberg News.
- Wallenstein, Andrew (2010-10-14). "THR's third annual list saluting innovators in media". The Hollywood Reporter Digital Power 50 for 2010.
- "Stocks That Surged Over 1000%".
- "Interview on NBC Press: Here". NBC News February 2011.
- "CES Mulling the Future of Digital Video". Forbes - Eric Savitz.
- Lee, Mark; Satariano, Adam (2010-12-23). "Sonic Buys Rovi". Bloomberg News.
- "RealD Announces the Election of Digital Media Industry Veteran Dave Habiger to Its Board of Directors". Market Watch.
- Jamerson, Joshua; Greene, Jay (2016-04-28). "Oracle to Buy Textura for $663 Million". Wall Street Journal. ISSN 0099-9660. Retrieved 2016-08-07.
- "Outstanding Achievement in Technical/Engineering Development Awards from 1948 to 2006" (PDF).
- "Heroic Imagination". web site.
- SonicPress Youtube Channel. Interviews with Habiger.