David Miller (tenor)
David Leigh Miller
David Miller - Il Divo Orchestra in Concert At Sydney Opera House Date 14 February 2012
|Birth name||David Miller|
|Born||April 14, 1973|
San Diego, California, United States
|Genres||Classical crossover; opera; romantic|
|Instruments||Singing, electronic drum|
|Labels||Syco Music, Sony BMG, Columbia Records|
|Associated acts||Il Divo|
Background and personal life
Miller was born in San Diego, California, but raised in the suburbs of Denver, Colorado. As a student at Heritage High School in Littleton, he starred in high school productions as the Rooster in Annie and Noah in Two by Two. He was also a member of the Colorado Children's Chorale but only took music seriously in high school after being asked to audition for Annie due to the lack of male cast members with the ability to sing. Uninterested in his father's suggestion that he join the military, he went on to Oberlin Conservatory of Music, where he graduated in 1995 with degrees in Vocal Performance and Opera Theatre.
In 1999, he appeared with the Los Angeles Opera in the role of Tybalt in Thor Steingraber's production of "I Capuleti e i Montecchi" by Vincenzo Bellini. He reprised this role at the Teatro Municipal in Santiago de Chile, and at the Savonlinna Festival in Finland.
In 2000, he made his debut with Opera Australia and at Teatro alla Scala in Milan, singing Tony in West Side Story. In 2003, he sang with the Los Angeles Philharmonic and Audra McDonald at the Hollywood Bowl in excerpts from West Side Story.
Miller made his debut in the Vlaamse Opera as Cassio in 2001 and 2002. In addition he performed in Jules Massenet's Manon in Teatro Verdi in Trieste under the baton of Daniel Oren. In the USA, he sang the title role in Offenbach's The Tales of Hoffman at the now-defunct Connecticut Opera in Hartford, Connecticut. He also interpreted the role of Percy in Donizetti's Anne Boleyn at Pittsburgh Opera with John Mauceri during 2000/2001. During the 2002/2003 season he performed in the world premiere of the opera Vita by Marco Tutino at Teatro alla Scala in Milan. He has worked with American opera companies in several roles, including Des Grieux in Manon, Romeo in Romeo et Juliette, Werther, Alfredo in La Traviata and Tamino in The Magic Flute with Opera Pacific.
His best known work to date is considered to be his role as Rodolfo in Baz Luhrmann's 2002 version of Puccini's La Boheme. This show modernized the opera in an effort to lure young audiences to Broadway. Luhrmann staged a Broadway show as he did with Moulin Rouge! and his Romeo et Juliette. Luhrmann's version of La bohème premiered in Sydney ten years before it debuted on Broadway. David was one of 3 Rodolfos in the original Broadway cast.
In December 2007, while Il Divo was taking a break from their world tour, David made a return to the classical opera stage. He performed in recital with the Chicago Pops Orchestra, singing a variety of tenor arias as well as some show tunes and Christmas favourites.
In December 2003, he became a member of the international musical quartet Il Divo along with Swiss operatic tenor Urs Bühler, French pop singer Sébastien Izambard, and Spanish baritone Carlos Marín. Their first album, called Il Divo became a worldwide multiplatinum selling record when released in November 2004, entering Billboard at number four and selling five million copies worldwide in less than a year and knocking Robbie Williams from the number one spot in the charts. Their second album, Ancora, was released on November 7, 2005 in the United Kingdom. Il Divo's third album, Siempre, was released on November 21, 2006 in the United States and on November 27, 2006 internationally. Their next album, The Promise, was released on November 10, 2008 (world) & November 17, 2008 (Canada & US), and shot straight to number 1 in the UK.
- Baz Luhrmann's La Bohème – Highlights from the 2002 Original Broadway Cast
- Studio album:
- 2004 – Il Divo
- 2005 – Ancora
- 2006 – Siempre
- 2008 – The Promise
- 2011 – Wicked Game
- 2013 – A Musical Affair
- 2015 – Amor & Pasión
- 2018 – Timeless
- Seasonal album
- 2005 – The Christmas Collection
- 2012 – The Greatest Hits
- Live Album:
- Special Editions:
- 2005 – Il Divo. Gift Edition 
- 2006 – Il Divo Collezione
- 2006 – Christmas Collection. The Yule Log
- 2008 – The Promise. Luxury Edition
- 2011 – Wicked Game. Gift Edition
- 2011 – Wicked Game. Limited Edition Deluxe Box Set
- 2012 – The Greatest Hits. Gift Edition
- 2012 – The Greatest Hits. Deluxe Limited Edition
- 2014 – A Musical Affair. Exclusive Gift Edition
- 2014 – A Musical Affair. French Versión
- 2014 – Live in Japan. Japan Versión
- 2004 – Live at Gotham Hall
- 2005 – Encore
- 2005 – Mamá
- 2006 – The Yule Log: The Christmas Collection 
- 2006 – Live At the Greek Theater
- 2008 – At the Coliseum
- 2009 – An Evening with Il Divo: Live in Barcelona
- 2011 – Live in London
- 2014 – Live in Japan
- "Il Divo crowned Silver Clef winners". March 23, 2015.
- Il Divo :: View topic – Article, Featuring David Archived January 31, 2007, at the Wayback Machine
- "Il Divo quartet brings its pop side to Bellco Theatre". The Denver Post. April 10, 2014.
- "Life on a high note". Highlands Ranch Herald. August 1, 2012.
- "Il Divo :: View topic – Little interview with David, Vallejo Times Herald, 25.6.06".[permanent dead link]
- Landrum, Charlotte (October 2009). "Alumni Notes: A Passion for Singing: David Miller and Il Divo". Retrieved April 9, 2017.
- "Sarah Kabanuck and David Miller". The New York Times. September 6, 2009.
- "After Cosmo's Bark, a Walk and a Duet". The New York Times. September 15, 2013.
- "Pittsburgh Opera: Mission and History - Pittsburgh Opera".
- "Press Overview".
- "Opera Vlaanderen Ballet Vlaanderen". Opera Vlaanderen Ballet Vlaanderen.
- "Teatro Verdi Trieste".
- "Playbill News: THE LEADING MEN: The Tony Rewards". Archived from the original on March 28, 2007.
- "All That Baz".
- www.ildivo.com (ed.). "Il Divo pública 'Il Divo. Gift Edition'". Archived from the original on September 23, 2015. Retrieved December 26, 2014.
- lahiguera.net (ed.). "Se pública 'Il Divo Collezione'. Incluirá los CDs: Il Divo, Ancora y The Christmas Collection, y el DVD Encore".
- www.ildivo.com (ed.). "Il Divo pública 'Christmas Collection. The Yule Log'". Archived from the original on 2014-12-07.
- "Il Divo pública 'The Promise. Luxury Edition'".
- www.ildivo.com (ed.). "Il Divo pública 'Wicked Game. Gift Edition'". Archived from the original on April 2, 2015.
- www.ildivo.com (ed.). "Il Divo pública 'Wicked Game. Limited Edition Deluxe Box Set'". Archived from the original on April 2, 2015.
- www.ildivo.com (ed.). "Il Divo pública 'The Greatest Hits. Gift Edition'". Archived from the original on September 23, 2015. Retrieved August 25, 2015.
- www.ildivo.com (ed.). "Il Divo pública 'The Greatest Hits. Deluxe Limited Edition'". Archived from the original on September 23, 2015. Retrieved August 25, 2015.
- www.ildivo.com (ed.). "Il Divo pública 'A Musical Affair. Exclusive Gift Edition and Calendar 2014'". Archived from the original on 2015-04-02.
- www.ildivo.com (ed.). "Il Divo pública 'A Musical Affair. French Versión'". Archived from the original on August 4, 2015.
- www.ildivo.com (ed.). "Un año después del lanzamiento de su exito álbum inspirado en musicales clásicos, Il Divo vuelve a la carga con una edición muy especial de 'A Musical Affair". Archived from the original on September 10, 2015.
- www.ildivo.com (ed.). "Videoclip de Mamá, de Il Divo".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to David Miller (tenor).|