Il Divo (Italian pronunciation: [il ˈdiːvo]) is a multinational vocal group classical crossover formed in 2004. The group is composed of a quartet of male singers: Swiss Urs Bühler, Spanish Carlos Marín, American David Miller and French Sébastien Izambard.
In 2005 Il Divo became the first classical crossover group in history to hold the number-one spot in the American Billboard 200. In 2006, they were entered into the Guinness Book of World Records as the most commercially successful classical-crossover group in music history. In 2015 they entered the list of the best-selling albums in the world, with 5,000,000 copies sold in 2006 alone.
In 2011, as thanks for the efforts and talent of the group, Il Divo were given the Artist of the Decade Award (Best Artist of The Decade) at the Classic Brits award ceremony held at the Royal Albert Hall in London. In July 2015 they received the Classic PPL award, the Silver Clef Award, organized by Nordoff Robbins.
To date, they have sold more than 29 million albums worldwide. Il Divo recently celebrated their first decade together.
The idea behind Il Divo's creation came to Simon Cowell after seeing Andrea Bocelli perform "Time to Say Goodbye." In 2004, G4, a quartet of operatic male singers, also appeared in the UK on Cowell's TV show The X Factor. They finished runners-up, but were signed by Sony records - ironically, the lead singer of this group, Jonathan Ansell, had previously auditioned to be a member of Il Divo. Cowell, aware of this new appreciation for lyrical voices and classical music, decided to form a multi-national quartet. The group's name is Italian for "divine performer." Il Divo chose this name to represent the unity of their voices, becoming one.
Cowell conducted a worldwide search for young singers who were willing to embark on the project, a search that lasted two years, from 2001 until December 2003, when the fourth member, American tenor David Miller, was signed. The well-established composition of Il Divo consists of renowned Spanish baritone, Carlos Marín; two classically trained tenors, Swiss Urs Bühler and American David Miller; and a French pop singer, Sébastien Izambard.
Il Divo debuted with Regresa a mí, which thus became a worldwide success in 2004. Singing primarily in Spanish, English, Italian, and French, Il Divo was named the Most Multinational UK No.1 Album Group in the 2006 edition of the Guinness Book of World Records.
|Problems playing this file? See media help.|
Having just completed a six-month tour of America, Australia, and Europe, Il Divo then participated in all 20 concerts by Barbra Streisand in her North American tour as her special guests. Streisand: The Tour with Il Divo was ranked second for all tours during 2006, generating $92.5 million in gross sales. They also accompanied her in her Europe concerts.
On 9 June 2006, Il Divo performed the 2006 FIFA World Cup official song, "The Time of Our Lives," with R&B singer Toni Braxton live, at half-time, during the opening match between Germany and Costa Rica and again a month later at the 9 July closing ceremony. The song is available exclusively on the Voices from the FIFA World Cup compilation album and on the European reissue of Braxton's album Libra but not on any Il Divo album. Il Divo have been on several world tours and have received 50 gold and platinum awards. Their last tour in 2014 covered five continents and over 33 countries.
On 12 December 2008, Il Divo performed their new song at the Swedish Idol 2008 finale in the Globen Arena in Stockholm. The Paraguay show was Il Divo's biggest capacity performance to date and took place on 20 December 2011, at the Defensores del Chaco Stadium in Asuncion, for 33,900 people.
The May 13, 2012 Il Divo performed the song Caruso with a staging of riding the rhythm of the song during the Diamond Jubilee of Elizabeth II at Windsor for the entire royal family and Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom.
On 6 September 2012, it was announced that Il Divo would release a Greatest Hits album. The album was produced by Alberto Quintero and featured songs spanning Il Divo's successful eight-year career to date, as well as four new songs including My Heart Will Go On, I Will Always Love You, Can't Help Falling in Love and Alone.
On March 23, 2015, it was announced that Il Divo was the winner of the 2015 Silver Clef Award, giving them the coveted Classic PPL. The gala award ceremony took place on July 3 at the Grosvenor House Hotel, a five-star hotel in London.
On July 5, 2015, while recording its eighth album Latin boleros, Il Divo sang in the Astana Concert Hall to give a concert in Astana, Kazakhstan, in honor of the 17th anniversary of the Day of Capital. After the concert, they initiated the photographic campaign for his eighth album and recording a new video on the streets of the town of Tepoztlan in Mexico. Earlier this year, Il Divo recorded a duet with Mexican singer Juan Gabriel entitled «Amor Eterno» (Eternal Love), one of the songs of the singer emblem. The recording material is included on the disk Los Dúos. The disc deluxe edition is accompanied by a DVD with images of Il Divo during recording.
The vocal tone and voice tessitura of each component of Il Divo is different and is subordinated to the independent paths in the world of opera, the classical musical training, the voice formed and physiology of each.
David and Urs are tenors, along with the baritone Carlos, they have long careers in the world of opera and classical music start from early vocal training. In contrast, Sébastien has not had any prior professional musical training (was self-taught), and is a tenor voice which the group classes as vox populi due to his pop tone.
- Urs, Tenor, most likely a Heldentenor. As its name implies, the heldentenor vocal fach features in the German romantic operatic repertoire. The heldentenor is the German equivalent of the tenore drammatico, however with a more baritonal quality. Therefore, the heldentenor voice might or might not have facility up to high B or C. The repertoire, however, rarely calls for such high notes.  This seems to be evident in Il Divo's repertoire: the extent of his range evident in Il Divo's recordings shows he can sing from G2 up to C5.
- Sébastien, vox populi with a tenor tessitura. The tessitura of this voice type will be typical of a common tenor, albeit with a lighter tone sans operatic training. Sébastien's voice is distinguished by its clear and bright timbre, the pectoral resonance and firmness in voice projection.  The extent of his range evident in Il Divo's recordings shows he can sing from G2 up to B4.
- Carlos, Verdi baritone. Incorporating the deep tones that a bass has, while having an upper range approaching that of a tenor, Carlos' voice type is high even for a usual baritone. A Verdi baritone refers to a voice capable of singing consistently and with ease in the highest part of the baritone range, up to A4, sometimes even up to the B4♭.  The extent of his range evident in Il Divo's recordings shows he can sing from G2♭ up to B4♭. The *unofficial* sheet music for their first album claims he sings down to a D2, however this is atypical of a baritone. Most basses would not even be required to sing such notes.
- David, lyric tenor. The lyric tenor is a warm graceful voice with a bright, full timbre that is strong but not heavy and can be heard over an orchestra. Lyric tenors have a range from approximately the C one octave below middle C (C3) to the D one octave above middle C (D5).  The extent of his range evident in Il Divo's recordings shows he can sing from C3 up to E5. A very quick, falsettoed F5 can be heard on their first album in Hoy Que Ya No Estas Aqui.
Besides music, the members of Il Divo are also known for their flawless, refined and elegant appearance, wearing almost exclusively suits by Giorgio Armani;Giorgio Armani, Emporio Armani and Armani Collezioni. .
Il Divo is a powerful and fascinating presence, in these years have been a great inspiration for me. I remember the first time I saw them performing live: I was impressed by their elegance and their fascinating way to communicate emotions through his music orig.—Giorgio Armani
Creating Il Divo created a revolution within the pure genre of opera because their musical combination of opera singing and classical music (opera), with themes of different genres, including Latin, folk, ballads, church music, bolero and pop. But his lyrical voices kept playing emblematic songs, it is not synonymous with opera, nor pop. There is talk of an intermediate term, but not of a merger between the two, since such lines that can not be merged, as David describes himself:
Pop is here, the opera is there and we (Il Divo) are in the middle.—David Miller
We do not intend to opera, but a pop operatic overtones.—Sébastien Izambard
Ours is romantic music.—Carlos Marín
So we talk about a new invention of musical style, hand own quartet, called Opera-Pop o Pópera, classified in the genre of contemporary music-
The quartet records their songs in several different languages Spanish ("Regresa A Mi", "Hasta Mi Final", "La Vida Sin Amor"), English ("Mama", "Amazing Grace", "Don't Cry For Me Argentina"), Portuguese ("Volta pra mim» Portuguese version of "Regresa a mi"), Italian ("Senza Parole", "Passera", "Notte Di Luce"), French ("Pour Que Tu M'Aimes Encore," "Le Temps des Cathedrale"), Latin ("Panis Angelicus") and Japanese ("Furusato"). Some songs incorporate more than one language in the same song: "The Man You Love" (Spanish & English), "Ave Maria" (Italian & Latin), "I Believe In You" (English & French) are recorded this way; whereas others are recorded in a single language, but sung live in two languages: "She" (Italian & English) and "Bring Him Home" (English & Spanish).
Most of the songs that they cover are reinterpreted from English and translated into the Spanish language, as they themselves say that "Spanish is the language of Romanticism".
On 25 April 2007, Il Divo performed on American Idol in one of the "Idol Gives Back" episodes, which raised money for children in the U.S. and Africa. For every vote cast during that show, Idol sponsors Coca-Cola, AT&T, and others donated money to Charity Projects Entertainment Fund (CPEF) and other groups such as Save the Children and America's Second Harvest.
Il Divo is related indirectly in terms of sponsorship and help with the French NGO SMTA Assistance Médicale Toit du Monde since 2005, of which Sébastien is the international official sponsor, and with Sanfilippo Children's Foundation in which Sébastien's global ambassador.
- Studio album:
- 2004 - Il Divo
- 2005 - The Christmas Collection
- 2005 - Ancora
- 2006 - Siempre
- 2008 - The Promise
- 2011 - Wicked Game
- 2013 - A Musical Affair
- Live Album:
- Special Editions:
- 2005 - Il Divo. Gift Edition 
- 2006 - Il Divo Collezione 
- 2006 - Christmas Collection. The Yule Log 
- 2008 - The Promise. Luxury Edition 
- 2011 - Wicked Game. Gift Edition 
- 2011 - Wicked Game. Limited Edition Deluxe Box Set 
- 2012 - The Greatest Hits. Gift Edition 
- 2012 - The Greatest Hits. Deluxe Limited Edition 
- 2014 - A Musical Affair. Exclusive Gift Edition 
- 2014 - A Musical Affair. French Versión 
- 2014 - Live in Japan. Japan Versión 
- DvD / Blu-ray
- 2004 - Live At Gotham Hall
- 2005 - Encore 
- 2005 - Mamá 
- 2006 - The Yule Log: The Christmas Collection 
- 2006 - Live At the Greek Theater 
- 2008 - At the Coliseum (Il Divo)
- 2009 - An Evening with Il Divo: Live in Barcelona
- 2011 - Live At The London Coliseum  (Il Divo)
- 2014 - Live In Japan 
- Official video
External links of video clips:
- 2004: Il Divo Tour 
- 2005: Streisand The Tour 
- 2005: Il Divo Tour, Ancora 
- 2006: Il Divo World Tour 
- 2008: Il Divo Global Tour 
- 2008: An Evening with Il Divo - World Tour 
- 2009: Celebrate Christmas with Il Divo 
- 2011: Il Divo Tour, Wicked Game 
- 2013: Il Divo & Orchestra in Concert - World Tour
- 2013: A Musical Affair en el Teatro Marquis de Broadway 
- 2014: A Musical Affair Tour 
- 2014: The Best of Il Divo - World Tour 
- Allegra Rossi, Romancing The World, Hardback 128 pages, 10 November 2005, Orion publishers (ISBN 978-0-7528-7519-4)
- Il Divo, Our Music, Our Journey, Our Words, Paperback 192 pages, 6 September 2007, Headline Book Publishing (ISBN 978-0-7553-1657-1)
- Caplan, David (23 October 2008). "FIRST LISTEN: Il Divo Sings 'Hallelujah'". People. Retrieved 10 December 2013.
- "Il Divo en el Libro Guinness de los récords". 2006.
- "Discos más vendidos de 2006".
- "Il Divo nombrado -Artista de la Década-". classicfm.com. 2011.
- "Il Divo fueron homenajeados en los Classic Brits en el Royal Albert Hall". ildivo.com. 2011.
- "Il Divo crowned Silver Clef winners". 23 March 2015.
- "Il Divo Takes "IL DIVO - A MUSICAL AFFAIR: THE GREATEST SONGS OF BROADWAY LIVE" On The Road". MarketWatch. PR Newswire. 11 November 2013. Retrieved 10 December 2013.
- Mansey, Kate (6 May 2005). "X-TRA SPECIAL; Kate Mansey meets the boy band with the manners of gentlemen It's so strange to be finally famous". Liverpool Echo. Retrieved 10 December 2013.
- todomusica.org (ed.). "Il Divo también canta en Japonés, se atreve a versionar la famosa canción japonesa "Furusato"".
- todomusica.org (ed.). "Biografía de Il Divo".
- [dead link]
- FIONA: DIVO - Mirror.co.uk
- Parkström, Sara (9 December 2008). "Il Divo gästar idolfinalen". Expressen (in Swedish). Retrieved 10 December 2013.
- Branco, Marlene Aponte (21 December 2011). "Polca, guarania y ópera en una cálida noche de festejo patrio". Diario ABC Color (in Spanish). Retrieved 10 December 2013.
- Coronel, Jorge (21 December 2011). "Il Divo celebró en concierto el Bicentenario del Paraguay". Diario ABC Color (in Spanish). Retrieved 10 December 2013.
- hola.com (ed.). "Windsor celebra el Jubileo de Diamante de forma espectacula".
- "The Greatest Hits - Deluxe Limited Edition | The Official Il Divo Site". Ildivo.com. Retrieved 2013-05-19.
- "Reseña concierto de IL DIVO en Kazajistan".
- "Il Divo acaba de filmar un videoclip en México, y lo ha hecho de la mejor manera: en un paraje inigualable como la ciudad de Tepoztlan y con equipo de CTT Exp & Rentals.".
- "Los 18 duetos en la nueva producción de Juan Gabriel. Su material discográfico número 40 es uno de los más ambiciosos de su carrera". 2015-01-11.
- "Los dúo le ha significado muchas felicidades al cantante no sólo por haber vuelto a grabar sus éxitos con nuevos arreglos, sino por haberlos cantado acompañado de grandes figuras de la música contemporánea". 20 July 2015.
- "Il Divo sang in the Astana Concert Hall to give a concert in Astana, Kazakhstan, in honor of the 17th anniversary of the Day of Capital.".
- aopinion.com, ed. (July 18, 2012). "Il Divo: magia de la ópera pop".
- "Il Divo simplemente no puede ir informal".
- "Il Divo viste de Gucci".
- "Giorgio Armani y Il Divo colaboran para 'The Promise'".
- "Soy un toro español". Costa Rica. 18 September 2012.
- ""Il Divo" no es ópera". Infobae. 19 October 2012. Retrieved 26 January 2015.
- ""Il Divo" no es ópera".
- "Il Divo "Cantamos bien y además somos guapos"".
- todomusica.org, ed. (2012). "Il Divo arrived in Japan over the weekend, to embark on their biggest tour of the country to date".
- todomusica.org, ed. (2006). "Biografía de Il Divo" (in Spanish).
- abc.es, ed. (October 21, 2008). "El español es el idioma del romanticismo para el cuarteto de ópera pop Il Divo" (in Spanish).
- EBSCO Publishing Service Selection Page
- http://radiotoday.com.au/ (ed.). "Hope for Isla and Jude, initated and produced by Sébastien Izambard from Il Divo, will see the Kate Bush classic This Woman’s Work released to radio Tuesday. The track includes vocals from Darren Hayes, Natalie Bassingthwaighte, Pete Murray, Ella Hooper, Diesel, David Campbell, Alex Lloyd, Christine Anu, Luke Steele, Katy Steele, Casey Donovan, Damien Leith, Marlisa, Nathaniel, The Australian Children’s Choir & special guest performance from (Red Hot Chili Peppers) Flea (playing Bass)".
- dailytelegraph.com.au (ed.). "Il Divo singer Sebastian Izambard’s fight to save Sanfilippo kids through Hope for Isla and Jude charity song".
- http://www.lastfm.es/ (ed.). "The Greatest Hits (Deluxe)".
- www.ildivo.com (ed.). "Il Divo pública 'Il Divo. Gift Edition'".
- lahiguera.net (ed.). "Se pública 'Il Divo Collezione'. Incluirá los CDs: Il Divo, Ancora y The Christmas Collection, y el DVD Encore".
- www.ildivo.com (ed.). "Il Divo pública 'Christmas Collection. The Yule Log'".
- "Il Divo pública 'The Promise. Luxury Edition'".
- www.ildivo.com (ed.). "Il Divo pública 'Wicked Game. Gift Edition'".
- www.ildivo.com (ed.). "Il Divo pública 'Wicked Game. Limited Edition Deluxe Box Set'".
- www.ildivo.com (ed.). "Il Divo pública 'The Greatest Hits. Gift Edition'".
- www.ildivo.com (ed.). "Il Divo pública 'The Greatest Hits. Deluxe Limited Edition'".
- www.ildivo.com (ed.). "Il Divo pública 'A Musical Affair. Exclusive Gift Edition and Calendar 2014'".
- www.ildivo.com (ed.). "Il Divo pública 'A Musical Affair. French Versión'".
- www.ildivo.com (ed.). "Un año después del lanzamiento de su exito álbum inspirado en musicales clásicos, Il Divo vuelve a la carga con una edición muy especial de ‘A Musical Affair".
- dvd-peliculas.com, ed. (December 2004). "Il Divo - Gotham Hall Performance (2005)".
- musicme.com, ed. (December 2004). "Il Divo Live at Gotham Hall 2004".
- www.ildivo.com (ed.). "Encore. Il Divo en el teatro romano de Mérida en España".
- www.ildivo.com (ed.). "Videoclip de Mamá, de Il Divo".
- www.ildivo.com (ed.). "Il Divo pública 'Christmas Collection. The Yule Log'".
- www.ildivo.com (ed.). "Il Divo Live at the Greek Theater".
- www.ildivo.com (ed.). "Il Divo At The Coliseum".
- www.ildivo.com (ed.). "Il Divo Live At The London Coliseum".
- www.ildivo.com (ed.). "Il Divo anuncia el lanzamiento de 'Live In Japan', n CD con Dvd en edición deluxe".
- www.ildivo.com (ed.). "For four young men it has been an incredible journey".
- billboard.com (ed.). "Streisand Taking Il Divo On Fall Tour".
- hola.com (ed.). "Il Divo: 'Ha habido sus más y sus menos, pero ahora somos como hermanos'".
- eventfinda.co.nz (ed.). "Il Divo were initially brought together by pop impresario Simon Cowell in 2004, following an extensive worldwide audition process. The virtuoso blending of operatic technique with romantic and popular song took the world by storm, with sales of over 22 million. Their first three albums, 'Il Divo', 'Ancora' and 'Siempre' scored 36 number 1 chart positions across 26 countries. But success was hard earned.".
- metroradioarena.co.uk (ed.). "Fresh from the staggering global success of two number 1 albums and a sell-out world tour, Il Divo today announce that they are coming back to the UK, where it all began for them, for their eagerly anticipated second UK tour as part of their World Tour 2007. The operatic supergroup, whose third album, Siempre, hits the shelves on 27 November, will perform at major UK arenas in May 2007, including the Metro Radio Arena on Saturday 19th May 2007.".
- todayszaman.com (ed.). "Il Divo back with 'The Promise'".
- allmusic.com s (ed.). "A live performance available as either a BluRay or a DVD/CD set, Live in Barcelona captures Il Divo’s April 3, 2009, performance at Palau Sant Jordi. The video portions contain the complete 24-track performance; the CD is a truncated ten-cut sampler, designed as a bonus rather than the main attraction. That main attraction is the extravaganza captured on video, where the operatic quartet runs through all manners of pop standards -- “Bridge Over Troubled Water,” “Unbreak My Heart,” “Nights in White Satin,” “The Winner Takes It All,” “My Way,” “The Impossible Dream” -- sometimes translating the lyrics out of English so they feel more like opera. Naturally, this live set won’t convince doubters, but those who have loved any of the group’s five studio albums will find this a satisfying spectacle".
- www.ildivo.com (ed.). "Celebrate Christmas with Il Divo".
- sony.comtitle (ed.). "The world's foremost classical crossover quartet IL DIVO announce the initial United States and Canadian concert dates on the group's massive 2012 world tour, slated to cross six continents in the upcoming year. The IL DIVO 2012 world tour, the group's fourth, follows the release of the quartet's latest album, Wicked Game (on Syco/Columbia Records) and provides a new mark of achievement for the signature vocal blend and unique operatic arrangements which have captivated millions and launched a classical-crossover sensation.".
- www.ildivo.comtitle (ed.). "Il Divo & Orchestra in Concert Tour Mundial".
- primacia.orgtitle (ed.). "Il Divo, el grupo de crossover clásico que ha roto records de ventas con más de 26 millones de discos vendidos en todo el mundo, ha lanzado su 6 º álbum de estudio "A Musical Affair" por Syco / Columbia Records en 5 de noviembre. El lanzamiento del álbum han elevado las cortinas en una temporada limitada de espectáculos en Broadway en el teatro Marquis, con Heather Headley como invitada especial".
- www.ildivo.com (ed.). "Il Divo's finale show of the Japan tour at the Budokan tomorrow will be broadcast nationally live at 7pm (Japan Time) on WOWOW TV. March 11th marks the 3rd year since the Great Eastern Earthquake and the ongoing recovery efforts. WOWOW have hence arranged free viewing events at the 4 theatres in the Tohoku/NorthEast area (aired live from Budokan).".
- onmilwaukee.com (ed.). "Ten minutes with Il Divo singer Sebastien Izambard".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Il Divo.|