|Born||1 June 1943|
|Alma mater||University of Cambridge|
|Information at IDEAS / RePEc|
David Michael Garrood Newbery, CBE, FBA (born 1 June 1943), has been Professor of Applied Economics at the University of Cambridge since 1988. He is a foremost thinker in the field of energy economics, writing extensively on the regulation of electricity markets. His interests also include climate change mitigation and environmental policy, privatisation, and risk.
Newbery co-authored a book and several articles with Nobel-laureate Joseph Stiglitz.
Besides his role as Professor of Applied Economics at Cambridge, he serves as Vice Chairman of Cambridge Economic Policy Associates, Director of the Cambridge Electricity Policy Research Group and an occasional consultant to the World Bank. In 1988-2003 he was Director of the Department of Applied Economics. He was a member of the Competition Commission in 1996-2002, and chairman of the Dutch electricity market surveillance committee. He was elected a Fellow of the British Academy in 1991. He is a member of the Academic Panel of DEFRA. Since 1966 he has been a fellow of Churchill College, and succeeded Archie Howie as President of its Senior Combination Room (SCR) in October 2010.
- Newbery, David M.G.; Stiglitz, Joseph E. (1981). The theory of commodity price stabilization: a study in the economics of risk. Oxford Oxford New York: Clarendon Press Oxford University Press. ISBN 9780198284178.
- Newbery, David M.G.; Stern, Nicholas (1987). The Theory of taxation for developing countries. New York: Published for the World Bank by Oxford University Press. ISBN 9780195205411.
- Newbery, David M.G. (1995). Tax and benefit reform in Central and Eastern Europe. London: Centre for Economic Policy Research. ISBN 9781898128199.
- Newbery, David M. (1999). Privatization, restructuring, and regulation of network utilities. The Walras-Pareto Lectures. Cambridge, Massachusetts: MIT Press. ISBN 9780262640480.
- Newbery, David M.G.; Székely, István P. (2008). Hungary: an economy in transition. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 9780521057547.
- Newbery, David M.G. (September 1970). "A theorem on the measurement of inequality". Journal of Economic Theory. Elsevier. 2 (3): 264–266. doi:10.1016/0022-0531(70)90040-2.
- Newbery, David M.G. (Spring 1978). "Stochastic limit pricing". The Bell Journal of Economics. RAND Corporation via JSTOR. 9 (1): 260–269. doi:10.2307/3003625.
- Newbery, David M.G.; Stiglitz, Joseph E. (December 1979). "The theory of commodity price stabilisation rules: welfare impacts and supply responses". The Economic Journal. Royal Economic Society via JSTOR. 89 (356): 799–817. doi:10.2307/2231500.
- Newbery, David M.G.; Stiglitz, Joseph E. (January 1984). "Pareto inferior trade". Review of Economic Studies. Oxford Journals. 51 (1): 1–12. doi:10.2307/2297701.
- "Prof David Newbery, CBE, FBA". Debrett's. Retrieved 12 December 2012.[permanent dead link]
- "Newbery, David M. G.". Library of Congress. Retrieved 26 October 2014.
data sheet (b. 6-1-1943)
- Faculty page at University of Cambridge
- Blaug, Mark; Vane, Howard R. (2003). Who's Who in Economics. Edward Elgar Publishing. p. 601. ISBN 1840649925.
- Electricity Policy Research Group profile
- Profile at EE Institute
- Churchill College SCR
- "(Supplement) no. 60173". The London Gazette. 16 June 2012. p. 8.
|This article about an educator is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|