|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Created by||Rick Poynor, Michael Bierut, Jessica Helfand and William Drenttel|
Design Observer is a website devoted to a range of design topics including graphic design, social innovation, urbanism, popular culture, and criticism. The content of the site includes essays, articles, reviews, blog posts, and peer reviewed scholarship. It is the host of the architecture and urban design publication Places (formerly a print academic journal) and the podcast Design Matters with Debbie Millman.
Four prominent design writers founded the site in October 2003: Rick Poynor was the founder and first editor of London-based Eye magazine, in addition to being author of many books; Michael Bierut is a partner in the New York office of Pentagram and is a design critic at Yale School of Art; Jessica Helfand is also a critic at Yale and is author of numerous books; William Drenttel is a designer, critic and partner with Jessica Helfand of Winterhouse Studios in Connecticut.
Frequent contributors include Steven Heller, John Foster, Adrian Shaughnessy, Dmitri Siegel, Alice Twemlow, Tom Vanderbilt, Lorraine Wild, Rob Walker, Alexandra Lange, Mark Lamster, John Thackara, and Julie Lasky.
- Muston, Samuel (5 July 2012). "The 10 Best architecture blogs". The Independent. Retrieved 4 September 2012.
- "Design Matters Wins the 2011 People's Design Award". Smithsonian Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum. 21 October 2011. Retrieved 4 September 2012.
- Shaughnessy, Adrian (1 September 2005). "PRIVATE VIEW: Time we blogged-on.(web logs on web design)". Design Week – via HighBeam Research (subscription required). Retrieved 4 September 2012.
- Evans, Lisa (20 October 2011). "TYPO London conference livestream". The Guardian. Retrieved 4 September 2012.
- "Blogs: Graphic Design". Creative Review – via HighBeam Research (subscription required). 6 March 2006. Retrieved 4 September 2012.