Dhamara Ghat train accident
Location of the accident within the Bihar State
|Date||19 August 2013|
|Time||08:40 IST (03:10 GMT)|
|Location||Dhamara Ghat, Saharsa district, Bihar|
The Dhamara Ghat train accident occurred on 19 August 2013 when the Rajya Rani Express train struck a large group of people at the Dhamara Ghat train station in the Indian state of Bihar. At least 37 people were killed and 24 were injured. The victims were mostly Hindu pilgrims returning from prayers at the nearby Katyayani mandir. The accident triggered a protest by passengers who beat the driver unconscious, attacked staff and torched two coaches of the train. The chief minister of Bihar State, Nitish Kumar, called it "the rarest of rare tragedies". He pledged 200,000 rupees, or around $3,180, to the victims' families, and urged the railway ministry to do the same.
According to S.K. Bhardwaj, a senior Bihar police officer, 37 people lost their lives. Among them were 13 women, four children and 20 men. The victims were walking along the tracks at Dhamara Ghat station after disembarking from the Samastipur-Saharsa passenger train when the Saharsa-Patna Rajya Rani Express travelling at 80 km/h, struck them.
- Castelldefels train accident - similar accident that occurred in 2010.
- Ulla Kloster (19 August 2013). "Pilgrims batter to death train driver who ploughed speeding train into 37 worshippers as they crossed tracks at packed station after morning prayer". Daily Mail. Retrieved 20 August 2013.
- Indrajit Singh (19 August 2013). "India Train Accident: Speeding Train Kills 37, Angry Mob Attacks Driver". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 20 August 2013.
- "India express train in Bihar kills people crossing track". BBC. 19 August 2013. Retrieved 19 August 2013.
- Ellen Barry (19 August 2013). "Train Hits Hindu Pilgrims in Eastern India, Killing Dozens". The New York Times. Retrieved 19 August 2013.
- "Train accident leaves at 37 dead in India". Euronews. 19 August 2013. Retrieved 20 August 2013.
- Vibhuti Agarwal (19 August 2013). "37 Killed as Train Runs Over Pilgrims in India". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 20 August 2013.
- Maseeh Rahman (19 August 2013). "India: at least 37 killed as express train ploughs through railway station". The Guardian. Retrieved 20 August 2013.
- "Angry mob beats conductor after 37 pilgrims die in Indian rail accident". Fox News. 19 August 2013. Retrieved 20 August 2013.
- "37 dead in Bihar railway tragedy: Nitish Kumar". The Times of India. 19 August 2013. Retrieved 20 August 2013.
- "Indian train runs over Hindu pilgrims, kills 37; angry mob beats driver, sets train on fire". National Post. 19 August 2013. Retrieved 20 August 2013.
- "37 dead in India train accident". i24news. 19 August 2013. Retrieved 20 August 2013.
|This Indian history-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about disaster management or a disaster is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|