Diamonds (Amanda Lear song)
|Single by Amanda Lear|
|from the album Diamonds for Breakfast|
|B-side||"It's a Better Life"|
4:55 (album version)|
3:40 (single edit)
|Songwriter(s)||Anthony Monn, Amanda Lear|
|Amanda Lear singles chronology|
The song was composed and produced by Anthony Monn, Lear's long-time collaborator in the disco era, and is an uptempo pop track. The Amanda Lear-penned lyrics are a praise for diamonds, which she says for her are "just the best" and "better than pearls", adding "I eat diamonds for my breakfast".
"Diamonds" was released as the second single preceding Amanda's fourth album, Diamonds for Breakfast, at the end of 1979. The B-side was "It's a Better Life", a track about a so-called "couch potato" spending her days in front of TV, which would later also be included on the album. The single was a moderate chart success across Europe, especially in Scandinavia, where it was a top 10 hit in Norway and remains Lear's only charting single in that country.
In the 2017 book Europe's Stars of '80s Dance Pop, the song is mentioned as one of Lear's "noteworthy tracks" from the 80s.
The music video for "Diamonds" was filmed in Paris. It primarily consists of footage of Amanda dancing and performing the song in front of the Van Cleef & Arpels boutique at Place Vendôme. The video also includes scenes of the singer in a bath and eating breakfast in bed.
- A. "Diamonds" – 3:40
- B. "It's a Better Life" – 4:40
- In 2006, Spanish singer Pedro Marín released a cover of the song on his Amanda Lear tribute album Diamonds.
- Arena, James (2017). Europe's Stars of '80s Dance Pop. McFarland. p. 225. ISBN 9781476630144. Retrieved 2018-02-18.
- "Amanda Lear - Diamonds at Discogs". Discogs. www.discogs.com. Retrieved 2018-01-07.
- "DIAMONDS 1979 Germany". amandalear_singoli.tripod.com. Retrieved 2018-01-07.
- "Offizielle Deutsche Charts" (in German). www.offiziellecharts.de. Retrieved 2018-01-07.
- "Discography Amanda Lear". norwegiancharts.com. Retrieved 2009-10-08.
- "Discography Amanda Lear". swedishcharts.com. Retrieved 2009-10-08.
- "Pedro Marín* - Diamonds (CD, Album) at Discogs". Discogs. www.discogs.com. Retrieved 2017-12-25.