- For the U.S. senator with the same name, see Dick Elliott (politician).
April 30, 1886
Boston, Massachusetts, U.S.
|Died||December 22, 1961
Los Angeles, California, U.S.
|Resting place||Forest Lawn Memorial Park in Glendale, California|
Richard "Dick" Elliott (April 30, 1886 – December 22, 1961) was an American character actor who played in over 240 films from the 1930s until the time of his death.
He played many different roles, typically as a somewhat blustery sort, such as a politician. A short, fat man, Elliott played Santa Claus on the Jimmy Durante, Red Skelton, and Jack Benny programs. Elliott had a couple of memorable lines in It's a Wonderful Life (1946), in which he scolded James Stewart, who was trying to say goodnight to Donna Reed, advising him to stop hemming and hawing and just go ahead and kiss her.
He also had a few memorable appearances in episodes of the Adventures of Superman television series. He appeared three times as Stanley on the CBS sitcom December Bride and on the ABC/Warner Brothers western series, Sugarfoot and Maverick. He was cast as the prospector Peter Cooper and then as Sheriff Tiny Morris in two segments of CBS's Tales of the Texas Rangers. He appeared twice as Doc Thornton on ABC's The Real McCoys. Elliott is perhaps best known as Mayberry's Mayor Pike in early episodes of CBS's The Andy Griffith Show, one of his last screen works. In two of the eleven episodes featuring Elliot as mayor, actress Josie Lloyd portrayed his daughter.
- Annie Oakley (1935) - Major Ned Buntline (uncredited)
- China Passage (1937) - Philip Burton
- Counsel for Crime (1937) (uncredited)
- Penitentiary (1938)
- Man from Music Mountain (1938) - Mr. Harkness (uncredited)
- The Story of Alexander Graham Bell (1939) (uncredited)
- Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939)
- Li'l Abner (1940)
- The Wagons Roll at Night (1941)
- The Affairs of Jimmy Valentine (1942)
- The Adventures of Mark Twain - Spectator at Frog-Jumping Contest (1944)
- The Man Who Walked Alone (1945)
- Christmas in Connecticut (1945)
- Adventures of Kitty O'Day (1945)
- Girls of the Big House (1945)
- Where Do We Go from Here? (1945)
- Gangs of the Waterfront (1945)
- It's a Wonderful Life (1946)
- Dangerous Money (1946)
- Trail of the Yukon (1949)
- Hunt the Man Down (1950)
- Double Jeopardy (1955)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Dick Elliott.|
|This article about a film and TV actor or actress is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|