Dictator (2016 film)
Theatrical release poster
|Written by||M. Ratnam (dialogues)|
Sreedhar Seepana (scenario)
|Music by||S. Thaman|
|Cinematography||Shyam K. Naidu|
|Edited by||Gowtham Raju|
|Distributed by||Eros International|
Dictator is a 2016 Telugu action film, jointly produced by Eros International and Sriwass under Vedhaaswa Creations banner and directed by Sriwass. The film stars Nandamuri Balakrishna, Anjali, Sonal Chauhan in the lead roles and music is composed by S. Thaman.The movie declared as hit by public review
It is the 99th movie in the career of Nandamuri Balakrishna. The film's script was written by Sridhar Seepana, Gopimohan and Kona Venkat while the dialogues were written by M. Ratnam. The movie had released on January 14, 2016 as Sankranthi Release. The movie is released also in Tamil and Malayalam as dubbed version simultaneously. Later the movie was dubbed into Hindi as Yudh: Ek Jung by Cinekorn Movies in 2016.
Chandu (Balakrishna Nandamuri) works at Dharma Mart as a special in charge. He is living with his wife Katyayani’s (Anjali) family in Hyderabad and everyone thinks that Katyayani is working in Delhi. Aspiring actress Indu (Sonal Chauhan) befriends Chandu. She is in trouble because Hyderabad Don (Vikramjeet Virk) is hunting for her brother (Rajiv Kanakala). When she is kidnapped, Chandu locks horns with the Don (Vikramjeet Virk) and this gets him in direct enmity with Minister Goverdhan Rao (Madhu) and corrupt Police officer Prabhakar (Ajay). Meanwhile, one of the colleague of Chandu, Babji (Kasi Viswanath) steals some money from supermarket’s account for his daughter’s marriage but Chandu takes the blame on him. He is arrested and gets the attention of company Chairman Rajashekar Dharma (Suman), then his uncle Lakshmi Narayana (Nassar) and his family demands for the truth. Things change as Rajashekar reveals the true identity of Chandu as Chandrashekar Dharma The Dictator, Chairman of Dharma group of companies.
Chandrasekhar Dharma is one of the big shots in India, who fights against the mafia, eliminates all the gangsters and protects all businessmen in Delhi as a Dictator. Once he meets Katyayani, one of the employees in his companies. Both of them fall in love since Katyayani’s father Lakshmi Narayana doesn’t like rich people she introduces him as her co-employee Chandu and they get married. After sometime Chandrasekhar Dharma locks horns with a powerful lady Mahima Roy (Rati Agnihotri) who is responsible for killing the Hari Prasad (Kulbhushan Kharbanda) father figure of Chandrasekhar, by her son-in-law Viswambhar (Nawab Shah). Mahima Roy kidnaps the family members of Chandrasekhar and forces Chandrasekhar to arrive at her house. Mahima at first asks Chandrasekhar to fall at her feet. Mahima then receives calls from her relatives all over the world, Chandrasekhar later revealing that he has kidnapped all of his relatives across the world, proving his network. Chandrasekhar decides to kill Viswambhar and orders his men to kill him. Mahima Roy makes an attack on Chandrasekhar and in the fight his wife Katyayani gets stabbed by Mahima's men. On his wife's request Chandrasekhar leaves Delhi and changes his identity to live as a common man.
It is then revealed by Rajasekhar that Viswambhar is still alive, two of Chandrasekhar's men having betrayed him. One of Chandrasekhar's family members. Sivaram (Sayaji Shinde), his uncle, who had turned against him in the past, goes to Viswambhar and informs him that Chandrasekhar is going to conduct necessary rites for the dead Hariprasad and it would be a good opportunity to kill him. When Viswambhar arrives at the spot along with his men to kill Chandrasekhar. it is revealed that Sivaram had sided with Chandrasekhar to bring Viswambhar out of his hiding. Chandrasekhar then kills Viswambhar and his gang and then forces Mahima Roy to leave the country, warning her for the last time that if she comes back to India, she will suffer the same fate as her son-in-law. Chandrasekhar then returns as Chandrasekhar Dharma, the Dictator, chairman of the industrialist's association of Delhi.
- Nandamuri Balakrishna as Chandrashekhar Dharma
- Anjali as Kathyayani
- Sonal Chauhan as Indu
- Vikramjeet Virk as Vicky Bhai
- Kulbhushan Kharbanda as Hari Prasad
- Rati Agnihotri as Mahima Rai
- Aksha Pardasany as Shruti
- Nassar as Lakshmi Narayana
- Suman as Raja Shekar Dharma
- Nawab Shah as Viswambhar
- Kabir Duhan Singh as Pandu Bhai
- Sayaji Shinde as Bokha Sivaram
- Chalapathi Rao as I.G.
- Vennela Kishore as Kathyayani's brother
- Raghu Babu as Vasthu Bheeshmacharya
- Prudhviraj as Ramesh Patro
- Posani Krishna Murali as Chandrashekhar Dharma's P.A.
- Ajay as Inspector Prabhakar
- Ravi Prakash as Inspector Rasool
- Ravi Babu as Director
- Vamsi Krishna as Minister's son
- Rajiv Kanakala as Waiter
- G. V. Sudhakar Naidu as Goon
- Prabhas Sreenu as Prabha
- Ashok Kumar as Lakshmi Narayana's brother
- Gundu Sudarshan
- Ravi Varma as Shruthi's husband
- Satya Prakash as Saxena
- Benerjee as Mahima Rai's P.A.
- Kasi Viswanath as Babji
- Giridhar as Kathyayani's brother
- Ping Pong Surya as Babji's son
- Madhu as Minister Goverdhan Rao
- Deekshithulu as Rasool's
- Ambati Srinivas as Minister's son P.A.
- Shakalaka Shankar
- Lab Sarath as Doctor
- Duvvasi Mohan as Prasad
- Junior Relangi as Kishanji
- Shraddha Das as item number
- Mumaith Khan as item number
- Pavitra Lokesh as Raja Shekar's wife
- Hema as Hema Patnaik
- Bhanu Sri as Indu's friend
- Gayatri Bhargavi as Gayatri
- Kalyani N as Lakshmi Narayana's wife
- Usha Sri
- Uma as Uma
|Soundtrack album To Dictator by S. Thaman|
|Released||20 December 2015|
|S. Thaman chronology|
Music composed by S. Thaman. Music released on EROS Music Company. The music of the film was launched on December 20, 2015 at Amaravati, the new Capital city of Andhra Pradesh. This movie was the first to release its audio at Amaravati. As this movie is 99th film in Balakrishna's career, the association of 'Balayya Helping Hands' organised a rally from KBR Park, Hyderabad to Audio Launch Venue at Amaravati with 99 cars with the permission of Government of Andhra Pradesh. First Audio CD copy was released by Rayapati Sambasiva Rao and presented it to Balakrishna. Anjali, Andhra Pradesh's Agriculture Minister Prathipati Pulla Rao, Ravela Kishore Babu, Sonal Chouhan, Korrapati Ranganatha Sai, Anil Sunkara, Ram Achanta, Ramajogayya Sastry, Shyam K. Naidu, Brahma Kadali, Ambika krishna, Sreedhar Seepana, Kona Venkat, Gopi Mohan, Raghu Babu and others were present at this event.
|1.||"Gam Gam Ganesha"||Ramajogayya Sastry||Divya Kumar, Deepak, Sai Charan, Nivas||04:28|
|2.||"Whats Up Baby"||Ramajogayya Sastry||Naveen, Malavika||04:38|
|3.||"Chura Chura"||Ramajogayya Sastry||Sanjana, Sri Krishna||03:56|
|4.||"Tingo Tingo"||Varikuppala Yadgiri||Kousalya, Geetha Madhuri, Simha||04:37|
|5.||"Dictator"||Ramajogayya Sastry||Sathyan, Solar Sai, Sai Sharan, Naveen, Sri Krishna||03:10|
|6.||"Gana Gana"||Bhaskara Bhatla||Sameera Bharadwaj, Deepak, Simha||04:20|
Production of this action drama film began at Ramanaidu Studios in Hyderabad on 29 May 2015. Telugu actress Anjali and Balakrishna will star in this film, to be produced and directed by Sriwass (Loukyam fame). In early July 2015, actress Sonal Chauhan was signed as one of the female lead in the film. This movie is the first Telugu film produced by Eros International Media Limited. Regular shooting for this film commenced on 20 July 2015. The lead actor Nandamuri Balakrishna lost 12 Kilograms of weight for the role in this movie. A wonderful set was built in Ramanaidu Studios, Hyderabad for this movie. First schedule of the movie with few action sequences was shot in this set for 25 days. Introduction song written by Ramajogayya Sastry titled Gam Gam Gam Ganesha... Gouri Tanaya Sarvesha... with theme on Lord Ganesha was shot in a big set designed by Brahma Kadali at Chithrapuri Colony, Hyderabad with 99 dancers and more than 2000 junior artists under the choreographer Prem Rakshith.
On 24 August 2015, Eros International Media Ltd released a press note saying that the movie had completed its first schedule in Hyderabad. Second schedule of this movie was planned in Europe where some talkie part, few fights and songs was shot. In the end of August 2015, the movie unit started shooting in Bulgaria at exotic locations. The movie unit completed another schedule at Delhi on December 2, 2015; and the final schedule with heavy mass, fight sequences in the second week of December at Hyderabad. On 18 December 2015, the film director Sriwass announced that shooting part was complete except for one song. The last song Tingo Tingo under choreography of Prem Rakshith, was shot at Hyderabad completing the shooting part of the film. Shraddha Das  and the popular Item song dancer Mumaith Khan paired up with Balakrishna in this song.
Dictator released worldwide on 14 January 2016 on the eve of Sankranthi festival alongside Sharwanand's Express Raja. The film released in around 900 screens across the globe including 625 across Andhra Pradesh and Telangana.
Dictator collected ₹ 10 crore gross at the worldwide box office on its first day, and fetched its distributors ₹ 7.5 crore. It has beaten the record of Lion and become the second-biggest opener for Balakrishna after Legend. It has collected ₹18 crore gross at the AP/Telangana box office in its four-day-extended first weekend.
- "Dictator Cast & Crew". Retrieved 27 June 2015.
- "Dictator Release date". TSI.
- "Muhurtham of Dictator". IdleBrain.
- "Dictator Launch". indiaGlitz.
- "Dictator Shooting part is complete except for 1 song". amaravati-ap. 18 December 2015.
- "Dictator (2016) Audio Launch Details". amaravati-ap. Archived from the original on 22 December 2015.
- "Balakrishna 99th film Dictator launched". 29 May 2015. Retrieved 27 June 2015.
- "Balakrishna to romance Legend actress once again"
- "Sonal Chauhan roped in for a crazy project"
- "Balakrishna 99th film Dictator first shooting schedule". Archived from the original on 17 July 2015. Retrieved 19 July 2015.
- "Dictator – Balayya's most stylish film till date!". ManaTeluguMovies. 20 July 2015. Retrieved 23 July 2015.
- "Nandamuri Balakrishna Dictator Introduction Song Shoot Started". 10 August 2015. Retrieved 10 August 2015.
- "Eros International's Telugu production 'Dictator' with Natasimha Balakrishna successfully completes its first schedule". Eros International.
- "'Dictator' unit lands in Bulgaria". 123telugu.com.
- Madhav, Shashikanth (1 December 2015). "5 Heroines For Balakrishna in Dictator". Retrieved 17 December 2015.
- "Item Song Details in Dictator". amaravati-ap. 29 December 2015.
- "Mumaith Khan in Balakrishna's Dictator". amaravati-ap. 23 December 2015.
- Shekhar H Hooli (15 January 2016). "Box office collection: Nannaku Prematho business affected by Dictator, Express Raja on 2nd day". Retrieved 7 March 2016.
- Shekhar H Hooli (18 January 2016). "'Dictator' 4-day box office collection". Retrieved 7 March 2016.