Dipak C. Jain
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (December 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Dipak C. Jain was the Director (Dean) of Sasin Graduate Institute of Business Administration of Chulalongkorn University in Bangkok, Thailand. The announcement of his appointment as Director of Sasin was made on June 7, 2014. He stepped down in 2017.
He is also INSEAD Chaired Professor of Marketing. He had served as Dean of INSEAD since his appointment from May 2011 to March 2013. He was Dean of Northwestern University’s Kellogg School of Management from 2001-2009.
He was also Sandy and Morton Goldman Professor of Entrepreneurial Studies & Professor of Marketing at the Kellogg School of Management, where he had been a member of the faculty since 1987. Jain has been a visiting professor of marketing since 1989 at the Sasin Graduate Institute of Business Administration at Chulalongkorn University in Bangkok.
Jain’s areas of research include the marketing of high-tech products; market segmentation and competitive market structure analysis; cross-cultural issues in global product diffusion; new product diffusion; and forecasting models. He has had more than 50 articles published in leading academic journals.
A marketing expert trained in mathematics and statistics, Jain assumed leadership of the school in 2001, after serving for five years as the school's associate dean for academic affairs working with Dean Donald P. Jacobs.
After 13 years in the Dean's office, Jain stepped down on September 1, 2009 to devote more time towards family and teaching commitments. From March 2011, he took office as Dean of INSEAD, one of the world's most prestigious business schools, with campuses in France, Singapore and Abu Dhabi.
Dipak C. Jain also serves as an Independent Director on the Board of Indian Conglomerate Reliance Industries Limited which is also the largest refiner in the world at a single location. He has served as a consultant to Microsoft, Novartis, American Express, Sony, Nissan, Eli Lilly and Company, and Hyatt International. He also serves as a member of the board of directors of Deere & Company and Northern Trust Corporation. He is also a former director at United Airlines, Hartmarx Corporation and Peoples Energy.
Dean Jain has served as the departmental editor for the journal Management Science, the area editor for Marketing Science and associate editor for the Journal of Business and Economic Statistics. He is also a former member of the editorial board of the Journal of Marketing Research.
Early life and education
He did his schooling from Rastrabhasa Hindi School at Tezpur, Assam.
He went on to earn his bachelor's degree in Statistics (Hons.) in 1976 from Darrang College, Tezpur (affiliated with Guwahati University) and his master's degree in Statistics in 1978 from Gauhati University in India.
Awards and honors
Dean Jain’s teaching honors include:
- The Sidney Levy Award for Excellence in Teaching in 1995;
- The John D.C. Little Best Paper Award in 1991;
- Kraft research professorships in 1989-90 and 1990–91;
- The Beatrice research professorship in 1987-88;
- The Outstanding Educator Award from the State of Assam in India in 1982;
- The Gold Medal for the Best Post-Graduate of the Year from Gauhati University in India in 1978;
- The Gold Medal for the Best Graduate of the Year from Darrang College in Assam in India in 1976;
- The Gold Medal from Jaycees International in 1976;
- The Youth Merit Award from Rotary International in 1976; and
- The Jawaharlal Nehru Merit Award, Government of India in 1976.
He is married to Sushant Jain and they have three children: Dhwani, Kalash and Muskaan.
- "Sasin Appoints New Director from INSEAD". MBA Today. Retrieved 9 June 2014.
- "Sasin School of Management » Paron Israsena Na Ayudhya named Director of Sasin". www.sasin.edu. Retrieved 2018-02-20.
- Dipak C. Jain's INSEAD Web Profile
- More biographical details may be located in chapter 6 of Wide Awake in the Windy City (NU Press, 2008)