Divian Ladwa is an English actor known for the Oscar nominated Best Picture Lion, the BAFTA winning comedy series Detectorists and Marvel Studios film Ant-Man and the Wasp. He is set to appear in Armando Iannucci's upcoming David Copperfield adaptation and ITV's cop show Wild Bill.
TV and film
Divian Ladwa's film debut came in a micro-budget feature Saxon where he played a hot-headed Rahim Begum alongside Sean Harris. The film won Best European Drama at the ECU European Independent Film Festival and was nominated for the Michael Powell Award for Best Film at the Edinburgh International Film Festival.
His next role was highly contrasting: a quiet and shy Dev King in the British feature film 8 Minutes Idle. The twisted rom-com also featured Tom Hughes (actor), Ophelia Lovibond, Antonia Thomas, Montserrat Lombard and Jack Ashton.
Ladwa is popularly known for playing the innocent and awkward Hugh in the BAFTA winning comedy series Detectorists written and directed by Mackenzie Crook. Originally aired on BBC Four, the show won critical praise and won two BAFTAs.
In 2017, Ladwa received notable global attention for playing a psychologically traumatised character in the Oscar nominated Best Picture Lion. The film starred Nicole Kidman and David Wenham as his adoptive parents and Dev Patel as his adoptive brother. The two time BAFTA winning film, which also starred Rooney Mara, was nominated for four Golden Globes including Best Picture and six Academy Awards.
2019 saw the online release of period drama Mr Malcolm's List on the Refinery29 website with Ladwa playing Gemma Chan and Frieda Pinto's footman in a highly comical role. The film is part of Refinery29's Shatterbox series aiding and encouraging more female filmmakers.
He will play Dr Chillip in Armando Iannucci's adaptation of Charles Dickens The Personal History of David Copperfield which also stars Hugh Laurie and Tilda Swinton and reunites Ladwa onscreen with Dev Patel.
UK TV channel ITV announced via their website Ladwa's involvement as a series regular in their upcoming quirky and off beat police drama Wild Bill playing opposite international screen icon Rob Lowe as well as British TV stars Rachel Stirling, Angela Griffin and Bronwyn James.
Away from TV and Film, Ladwa has an extensive theatre background working with a wide range of companies including Theatre Royal Stratford East, Tamasha Theatre Company and Fluxx Improvised Theatre, early in his career.
He has worked in highly prominent Radio plays, mostly for BBC Radio 4, reading parts that include secondary school student Charlie in School Drama and as Romeo in Romeo and Juliet opposite Tom Hollander. He also played Vince the Mushroom Man in a continuation of Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere series, How The Marquis Got His Coat Back and University student Max in Ed Reardon's Week.
|2015||You, Me and the Apocalypse||Jamie's Solicitor||Miniseries; Episode: "Who Are These People?"|
|2017||Jade Dragon||Richard||Web series; Main Cast|
|2018||In The Long Run||Hiten||2 episodes|
|2019||Wild Bill||PC Drakes||Post-production; Main Cast|
|2007||Saxon||Rahim||Best Drama - ECU Festival|
|2012||8 Minutes Idle||Dev|
|2013||Punchline||Tiny Tim||Short film|
|2014||My Dad||Voice||BAFTA nominated animation|
|2016||Lion||Mantosh Brierley||Oscar nominated Best Picture|
|2018||Ant-Man and the Wasp||Uzman|
|2019||Mr Malcom's List||Footman||Period drama|
|2019||The Personal History of David Copperfield||Dr. Chillip||Post-production|
- "Saxon". Elise Valmorbida.
- "Publicity Award". Saxon the Film.
- "8 Minutes Idle". British Council Film.
- "8 Minutes Idle Cast Gallery". BBC Films.
- "8 Minutes Idle Exclusive". Hey U Guys. 14 February 2014.
- "Television | Scripted Comedy". BAFTA.
- "Detectorists Characters". British Comedy Guide.
- "Craft Award Writer – Comedy". BAFTA.
- "Oscar Nominee". The Oscars.
- Saunders, Tristram Fane (12 February 2017). "BAFTA winners Ful List". The Telegraph.
- "Oscar Nominees 2017". The Oscars.
- "Divian Ladwa cast in Ant Man sequal". Hatch.
- "Mr Malcolm's List". Refinery29.
- "Emma Holly Jones' film". Free the Bid.
- "Copperfield cast list". IMDb.
- "Wild Bill Press Release". ITV.
- "ATN with Divan Ladwa". Afridiziak Theatre News.
- "School Drama". BBC.
- "School Drama". Goldhawk.
- "Romeo And Juliet". BBC.
- "How The Marquis Got His Coat Back". BBC.
- "How the Marquis Got His Coat Back". Radio Times.
- "Ed Reardon's Week". BBC.
- "Ed Reardon's Week". Radio Times.
- Rachel Russell. This Is Local London. "Rising British Asian actor Divian Ladwa stars alongside Rayners Lane star Dev Patel in new Hollywood blockbuster". Retrieved 2 February 2017.
- Lion – Winners' acceptance speech, Adapted Screenplay, EE British Academy Film Awards in 2017. Retrieved 12 February 2017.
- Toby Melville. Alamy – Divian Ladwa arrives for the British Academy of Film and Television Awards (BAFTA) at the Royal Albert Hall in London
- Bekia. Divian Ladwa en la alfombra roja de los Premios Bafta 2017.
- Getty Images. Divian Ladwa Pictures and Images.
- Maria Mercedes Lara Brittany Talarico. People Style. See All the Glamorous Looks from the BAFTA Awards Red Carpet.. Retrieved 12 February 2017.
- Zoe Paskett. Ham & High. Lion star talks of working with Nicole Kidman and Dev Patel in Oscars contender. Retrieved 9 February 2017.
- John Byrne. The Stage. My First Audition: Divian Ladwa – ‘it felt like it was all a silly boy’s dream’
- RTE "Lion star Divian Ladwa is one of the first stylish men on the red carpet wearing Aquascutum & cuff links by Harrys of London."
- Rex by Shutterstock. British Academy Film Awards Nespresso Nominees' Party, Inside, London. Retrieved 11 February 2017.
- entertainment.ie Divian Ladwa attends the 70th EE British Academy Film Awards (BAFTA) at Royal Albert Hall
- BAFTA Cinema Etc. "delivered to great effect by Divian Ladwa" for My Dad.