Doctor Doom's Fearfall
|Doctor Doom's Fearfall|
Doctor Doom's Fearfall entrance
|Islands of Adventure|
|Area||Marvel Super Hero Island|
|Soft opening date||March 27, 1999|
|Opening date||May 28, 1999|
|Attraction type||Space shot|
|Height||200 ft (61 m)|
|Speed||40 mph (64 km/h)|
|Capacity||550 riders per hour|
|Riders per vehicle||8|
|Height restriction||52 in (132 cm)|
Universal Express available
Single rider line available
Must transfer from wheelchair
Doctor Doom's Fearfall is a space shot ride located in the Islands of Adventure theme park at Universal Orlando Resort. As the name suggests, the ride is themed after the superhero team Fantastic Four archenemy, Doctor Doom. The ride opened on May 28, 1999.
In 1991, planning began for a new theme park adjacent to Universal Studios Florida. By the end of 1993, it was decided that one area of the future Islands of Adventure theme park would be themed after Marvel Comics, with a Hulk theme being selected for a thrill ride. The designers of the ride wanted to simulate being fired out of a cannon and subsequently set about prototyping a launch system. Universal Creative and MTS Systems Corporation had a working prototype in January 1995. Methods to achieve this acceleration were investigated into mid-1996. On-site construction of Islands of Adventure was underway in 1997, with Superior Rigging & Erection being responsible for erecting the supports and track of the roller coaster. Universal was responsible for designing the exterior aesthetic of the ride, and Orlando-based architectural company Nichoson Design International was brought in to create the construction drawings. On May 28, 1999, Islands of Adventure officially opened to the public, with Doctor Doom's Fearfall being one of its debut attractions.
Riders entered the science laboratory of Doctor Doom, with many televisions showing details the invention behind Doom's latest invention, and its ability to defeat the Fantastic Four. You soon become a subject of Dr. Doom and traps you so he can have your fear extracted. Your fear will become the ingredient he needs for his weaponry schemes.
After walking through the queue, guests arrive at Doctor Doom's launching platform. After boarding the vehicle, a doombot begins the clockdown. After the clockdown, riders are launched into the air for approximately 2 minutes. After the riders return to the ground, Doom laughs manically as he successfully got everything he wanted. The countdown may not always be the same, making the pre-launch wait scary.
- "DOCTOR DOOM'S FEARFALL AT UNIVERSAL'S ISLANDS OF ADVENTURE". Orlando Informer. March 13, 2012. Retrieved May 29, 2017.
- Schneider, Mike (July 5, 1998). "Theme Parks Set in Motion Around Conference Tables". Lakeland Ledger. Retrieved October 5, 2013.
- Total Immersion: Theme Park for the 21st Century. Orlando, Florida: USA Network.
- Cronan, Carl (September 15, 1997). "Disney Finds Another Way To Keep Visitors Entertained". The Tuscaloosa News. Retrieved October 5, 2013.
- "Services". Superior Rigging & Erection Company. Retrieved March 24, 2013.
- Marden, Duane. "Incredible Hulk (Islands of Adventure)". Roller Coaster DataBase. Retrieved October 5, 2013.
- "Super Hero Island is Marvel". Amusement Business. 111 (14): 18–19. April 5, 1999.
- "The Incredible Hulk Coaster Queue at Islands Of Adventure". YouTube. May 29, 2017. Retrieved August 23, 2012.
- "Doctor Doom's Fearfall Queue in 1080p HD~Universal Orlando". Orlando Tourist Bureau. June 30, 2012. Retrieved May 29, 2017.
- "Islands Of Adventure Dr. Doom Fear Fall POV Universal Studios Florida". YouTube. May 29, 2017. Retrieved September 7, 2013.
- "INSIDE THE RIDE: DOCTOR DOOM FEARFALL AT ISLANDS OF ADVENTURE". Orlando Fun Tickets. June 30, 2012. Retrieved May 29, 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Doctor Doom's Fearfall.|
- Official website for the Islands of Adventure attraction