Dollar (Hong Kong coin)
|Composition||75% copper, 25% nickel|
|Years of minting||1866 –1869, 1960, 1970-75, 1978-80, 1987-92, 1993-1998, 2013, 2015 (new issue)|
|Design||1 with value in English and Chinese|
The one-dollar coin is the fourth-highest and fourth-lowest denomination coin of the Hong Kong dollar.
It was first issued in 1866 as a silver coin of a diameter of 38 mm, a mass of 26.96 grams and a thickness of 2.80 mm. This issue lasted only three years with a reported mintage of 2,109,000 coins in total; separate statistics of each years mintage are unavailable.
The second introduction of a dollar coin was started in 1960 as a copper-nickel coin of 30 mm in diameter, 2.25 mm thick, and weighing 11.66 g. The circulation of this coin was ended in 1978 with the issuance of a smaller coin of 25.50 mm in diameter, 1.95 mm thickness and weighing 7.10 g.
In 1993 the portrait of Elizabeth II was replaced with the Bauhinia flower, this design is used to the present day but its first year's issue was made of nickel-plated steel as opposed to cupro-nickel. in 1997 a commemorative issue with a Chinese unicorn, the Qilin on the reverse was issued for the handover of Hong Kong back to China.
- H = Heaton
- KN = King's Norton
|1866-1868 (Silver coin)||2,109,000 (all years)|
|1960 (Large coin)||40,000,000 H mint mark, 40,000,000 KN|
|1978 (Small coin)||120,000,000|
|1988||20,000,000 circulating. 20,000 proof.|
|1997||Regular and Chinese unicorn commemorative. ???|
|/// = has not been minted, ??? = unknown yet, --- = only minted for sets|
- Ma Tak Wo 2004, Illustrated Catalogue of Hong Kong Currency, Ma Tak Wo Numismatic Co., LTD. Kowloon, Hong Kong.ISBN 962-85939-3-5
- http://worldcoingallery.com/countries/display.php?image=img2/84-63&desc=Hong Kong km63 1 Dollar (1982-1992)&query=Hong Kong
- http://worldcoingallery.com/countries/display.php?image=img14/84-69&desc=Hong Kong km69 1 Dollar (1993) nickel plated steel&query=Hong Kong
- "Circulating Mintage quantities". Ma Tak Wo 2004, Illustrated Catalogue of Hong Kong Currency, Ma Tak Wo Numismatic Co., LTD Kowloon Hong Kong. ISBN 962-85939-3-5.
- Krause, Chester L. (2001). Standard Catalog of World Coins. Iola, Wisconsin: Krause Publications. pp. 920–921. ISBN 9780873418843.
Hong Kong one-dollar note
|Hong Kong one-dollar coin