Collins was born on 10 February 1918 in Essex, England and was the youngest of a family of nine children. From a young age Collins claimed to be able to see spirits a psychic ability she said to have throughout her life. She attended a Spiritualist church and in 1958 became the president of Woodford National Spiritualist Church in Essex. She became a resident at the Spiritualist Association of Great Britain and made trips to the United States, Australia and toured Great Britain offering her mediumship services to people for money.
She wrote three books on Spiritualism A Woman of Spirit (1985), The Power Within (1988) and Positive Forces (1991).
- Jenny Randles, Peter Hough. (1994). The Afterlife: An Investigation Into The Mysteries of Life After Death. Berkley Books. ISBN 978-0425142127
- Doris Collins. (1985). A Woman of Spirit: The Autobiography of a Psychic. HarperCollins Publishers. ISBN 978-0583136426
- Doris Collins (1918-2003)
- Jonathan C. Smith (2009). Pseudoscience and Extraordinary Claims of the Paranormal: A Critical Thinker. Wiley-Blackwell. ISBN 978-1405181228
- James Randi. (1997). An Encyclopedia of Claims, Frauds, and Hoaxes of the Occult and Supernatural. St. Martin's Griffin. ISBN 978-0312151195
- on YouTube