The dustdigger first appeared in the first edition Advanced Dungeons & Dragons adventure modules Pharaoh (1982), Oasis of the White Palm, and Lost Tomb of Martek (1983), and was reprinted in the original Monster Manual II (1983).
A dustdigger is a desert dwelling creature that looks like a giant starfish with five arms around a central maw. A dustdigger inhabits arid areas with loosely packed, sandy soil, such as desert dunes, where it digs a hole to hide in and traps creatures to swallow them whole.
- Hickman, Tracy and Laura Hickman. Pharaoh (TSR, 1982)
- Meyers, Philip and Tracy Hickman. Oasis of the White Palm (TSR, 1983)
- Hickman, Tracy and Laura Hickman. Lost Tomb of Martek (TSR, 1983)
- Gygax, Gary. Monster Manual II (TSR, 1983)
- Green, Scott; Peterson, Clark (2002). Tome of Horrors. Necromancer Games. pp. 120–121. ISBN 1-58846-112-2.
- Baur, Wolfgang, Jason Bulmahn, et al. Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Bestiary 2 (Paizo Publishing, 2010)