Eastern Nile State
Location of Eastern Nile in South Sudan
|Number of Counties||7|
|• Governor||Chol Thon Balook|
|Population (2014 Estimate)|
Eastern Nile is one of the 28 states of South Sudan formed on 2 October 2015. It is located in the Greater Upper Nile region and it was part of the former states of Upper Nile and Jonglei. The state borders the states of Eastern Bieh, Latjoor, Western Bieh, Western Nile, and the country of Ethiopia to the east.
Before Eastern Nile State was formed, its territory was in the former states of Upper Nile and Jonglei. On 2 October 2015, President Salva Kiir issued a decree establishing 28 states in place of the 10 constitutionally established states. The decree established the new states largely along ethnic lines. A number of opposition parties and civil society groups challenged the constitutionality of the decree. Kiir later resolved to take it to parliament for approval as a constitutional amendment. In November the South Sudanese parliament empowered President Kiir to create new states.
Chol Thon Balook was appointed Governor on 24 December.
Eastern Nile State is located in the Greater Upper Nile region and the state borders the states of Latjoor and Eastern Bieh to the south, Western Bieh and Western Nile to the west, and the country of Ethiopia to the east.
When Eastern Nile State was formed, the state split even further into a total of 11 counties. These counties are Malakal County, Renk County, Melut County, Sobat West County, Sobat East County, Akoka County, Koma County, Atar County, Khor Fulus County, Northeast Maban County, and Southeast Maban County. Each county was also given a county commissioner.
Towns and cities
The capital of the state is Malakal. Malakal's population in 2015 was 160,765. Malakal is the 2nd largest in the country. Other towns and villages in the state of Eastern Nile include Daga Post, Doleib Hill, Melut (located in Melut County), and Renk (located in Renk County).
- "SHILLUK FIGHT FOR DINKA TAKE-OVER OF MALAKAL: S. SUDAN LEGISLATORS WARN OF WAR OVER LAND DISPUTES IN UPPER NILE STATE". Africans Press. 10 February 2016. Retrieved 14 August 2016.
- "Full list of Kiir's proposed new 28 states in S Sudan". Radio Tamazuj. 3 October 2015. Archived from the original on 5 March 2016. Retrieved 14 August 2016.
- "East Nile governor create three counties, removes Pigi County Commissioner". Radio Tamazuj. 25 April 2016. Archived from the original on 19 August 2016. Retrieved 14 August 2016.
- "Eastern Nile State". south-sudan.biz. Retrieved 27 November 2016.
- "Kiir and Makuei want 28 states in South Sudan". Radio Tamazuj. Archived from the original on 2015-12-08.
- "Kiir pressured into taking decree to parliament for approval". Radio Tamazuj. Archived from the original on 2016-03-04.
- "South Sudan's Kiir appoints governors of 28 new states". Sudan Tribune.
- "South Sudan's President appoints 28 Governors, defies peace agreement". South Sudan News Agency. 24 December 2015. Archived from the original on 2016-02-02.
- imeechan. "Malakal's water woes". imeechan. Retrieved 27 November 2016.
- "South Sudan - Largest Cities". GeoNames. Retrieved 27 November 2016.