Edison’s Children 2011, Pete Trewavas and Eric Blackwood.
|Origin||Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, England, Sugar Loaf, New York, United States|
|Genres||Progressive rock, neo-progressive rock, alternative rock, psychedelic rock, acoustic rock|
|Labels||Random Disturbance Records, Racket Records|
|Associated acts||Marillion, Transatlantic, Kino, Acoustic Industry, Sunblister, Blackwood & Foti, The Eric Blackwood Band, Steve Hogarth, The Wishing Tree, DeeExpus, Robin Boult Fish (Derek Dick), Crimson Steele|
Edison’s Children are a British and U.S.-based rock duo, formed in Aylesbury, England and Sugar Loaf, New York by Pete Trewavas of Marillion and Transatlantic and Eric Blackwood in 2011. They released a concept album, In The Last Waking Moments…, in 2011. Their song "A Million Miles Away (I Wish I Had A Time Machine)" was released as a single in June 2012 and reached the FMQB Top 40 for 10 weeks total, peaking on October 18, 2012 at #32 for most played song on United States Commercial Radio.
Pete Trewavas and Eric Blackwood wrote, produced, and engineered their album and played nearly every instrument on the album, except for the special guest appearances: Steve Rothery of Marillion; Steve Hogarth of Marillion; Ian Mosley of Marillion; Mark Kelly of Marillion; Robin Boult (Guitarist for Fish); and, Andy Ditchfield of DeeExpus. Edison's Children's "In The Last Waking Moments..." marks the only time that all of Marillion have performed on the same album, that wasn't an actual "Marillion" release.
A new haunting concept album was released in December of 2013 called "The Final Breath Before November". The "edge of midnight on Halloween" theme provided a dark canvas and a step away from the more "commercial" sounding In the Last Waking Moments... The album was based on an actual "ghostly" encounter between Eric Blackwood and a young teenage suicide which Eric reported as being the most horrific thing he's ever experienced... as he exhibited "A morbidity equal to that of coming upon a plane crash". The album again featured Eric Blackwood and Pete Trewavas as songwriters but also a prominent role by drummer Henry Rogers of Touchstone and DeeExpus. 19 year old Henry Rogers had won recently the awards for "World's Best Drummer" by England's "Classic Rock Society" for 2 years in a row, beating out Dream Theater/Transatlantic's Mike Portnoy who had long held the honor.
1st Man on the Moon and Mission Commander Neil Armstrong's son Rick Armstrong, joined the band as their live "2nd lead and synth guitarist" after guesting on stage with Edison's Children in Montreal and is expected to be a major part of the band's live show and possibly some studio work going forward.
- 1 History
- 2 Lineup
- 3 Guest Members
- 4 Live Band
- 5 Mixdown
- 6 Discography
- 6.1 Studio albums
- 6.2 Single Releases and other physical CD appearances
- 6.3 Other Physical CD Releases and CD Samplers
- 7 Radio Charts
- 8 References
- 9 External links
- March 2010 at Sugar Loaf, New York at Black Dirt Studios (leased from Brad Morrison who founded the band Phish), in between the Atlantic and European legs of Transatlantic's Whilwind Tour.
- March 2011 at Saint-Sauveur, Quebec and Montreal, Quebec at "Le Chateau" in the weeks before and after the Marillion Montreal Convention of 2011.
- August 2011 at two separate beach houses in Ocean City, Maryland.
Between March 2010 and March 2011, Eric Blackwood and Pete Trewavas had already written nearly an entire album's worth of material, including the 25 minute "Silhouette" but writing sessions became so prolific during the Mont Saint-Sauveur sessions, that previously written songs (except for "Dusk") were left off the album. 50 other songs were written and recorded as well, as movie soundtracks for the Hudson Film Group's upcoming projects: Purgatory, DeStressed, Jammed Up and Harvest Moon.
The additional musicians make Edison's Children very much a Marillion-related project. Apart from Trewavas, all current members of Marillion appear on at least one track; the track "The Awakening" includes four out of five Marillion musicians. Additionally, there is an appearance by Trewavas' childhood friend Robin Boult, who had stepped in for Steve Rothery for one Marillion show in 1986 and was a permanent member of ex-Marillion singer Fish's lineup for several years.
Edison's Children opened for Marillion's prestigious "Brave" show at the Marillion Weekends in Port Zeilande Netherlands, Montreal Quebec and Wolverhampton England from March til April 2013 and played a 2 hour show in Montreal in addition to the evening show on the main stage. All three shows were recorded and the Montreal show has been released on the "In The Last Waking Moments..." [EP SINGLE] CD 
Edison's Children has announced that a new full length album "The Final Breath Before November" is expected to be released by January 1, 2014  featuring Pete Trewavas / Eric Blackwood and Henry Rogers on Drums. The album features only 3 songs but at 79:28 long, it just fits onto a single CD. Edison's Children has also signed Rick Armstrong [Son of Astronaut Neil Armstrong] on Guitar / Bass / Keyboards and Lisa Nojaim Drums/Percussion for live performances along with Henry Rogers - Drums
- Pete Trewavas – bass guitars, lead and backing vocals, lead and backing guitars, samples and effects, drum programming, VST programming, Keyboards
- Eric Blackwood – lead and backing vocals, lead and backing guitars, bass, keyboards, drum programming
also featuring Henry Rogers - drums ("Final Breath Before November")
- Steve Hogarth (aka "h") – vocals – "The Awakening"
- Steve Rothery – electric lead guitars – "Spiraling"
- Mark Kelly – vocals – "The Awakening", keyboards – "The "Other" Other Dimension"
- Ian Mosley – drums – "The Awakening"
- Robin Boult – backing power rhythm guitar – "In The Last Waking Moments..."
- Andy Ditchfield – vocals – "The Awakening"
- Wendy Farrell-Pastore – Backing Vocals – "The Final Breath Before November"
Edison's Children's Live Band is made up of:
- Pete Trewavas - Bass / Lead Guitar / Keyboards / Vocals
- Eric Blackwood - Lead Vocals / Lead Synth Guitar
- Rick Armstrong - Guitar/Bass/Keyboards [Son of Astronaut and "First Man on the Moon" Neil Armstrong]
- Chris Mack - Drums [Iluvatar and drummer for the Baltimore Ravens On Field Marching Band]
- Dean Morekas - Bass [Iluvatar]
- Henry Rogers - Drums [of DeeExpus and Touchstone]
- Anna Koropchak - Violin [Apothocary]
Live appearances have also included:
- Dennis Mullin - Guitar [Iluvatar]
- Lisa Nojaim - Percussion / Drums / Vocals
- Mike Hunter – Mixdown of Dusk, Fracture, Fallout (Of The 2nd Kind), Outerspaced, Spiraling, The “Other” Other Dimension, Across The Plains, Lifeline, Fallout (Of The 3rd Kind), The Awakening
- Robin Boult – Mixdown of “In the First Waking Moments…”, “A Million Miles Away (I Wish I Had A Time Machine)”,”In The Last Waking Moments…”, “Fallout (Of The 4th Kind)
- Mike Hunter – Mastering
In The Last Waking Moments…
- Dusk - 6:42
- Fracture - 5:50
- Fallout (Of The 1st Kind)
- The Last Refrain
- In The First Waking Moments… - 0:44
- A Million Miles Away (I Wish I Had A Time Machine) - 5:01
- Fallout (Of The 2nd Kind) - 4:55
- Outerspaced - 3:14
- Spiraling - 5:01
- The “Other” Other Dimension - 4:45
- Across The Plains - 2:26
- In The Last Waking Moments… - 7:25
- Lifeline - 3:17
- Fallout (Of The 3rd Kind) - 4:00
- The Awakening - 15:33
- The Awakening (The Dawn)
- Slow Burn
- The Awakening (The Dusk)
- Fallout (Of The 4th Kind) - 1:46
The Final Breath Before November…
- Final Breath - 4:04
- Light Years - 6:05
- The Fading - 1:27
- Silhouette - 67:23
- Silence Can Be Deafening (Part I) - 6:47
- Welcome To Your Dreamland - 3:16
- Where Were You? - 12:05
- The Longing - 7:48
- The Morphlux - 3:12
- I Am Haunted - 2:51
- What Do You Want? - 2:04
- Seventh Sign - 7:01
- The Wrong
- The Acolyte
- The Hollows
- The Road (Less Traveled)
- The Second Coming of the Morphlux - 3:08
- Silence Can Be Deafening (Part II) - 5:13
- Welcome to Your Nightmare - 3:07
- Music for the End Credits of an Existence - 9:10
- The Clock Strikes November - 1:41
Single Releases and other physical CD appearances
- Dusk (The Rising) [Trance Remix]
(released as a fan promotion, week before album's official release. Single included “Inaugural Fan T-Shirt”)
"A Million Miles Away (I Wish I Had A Time Machine)" [EP SINGLE]
- A Million Miles Away (I Wish I Had A Time Machine) [Single Edit 3.47]
- Spiraling [featuring Marillion's Steve Rothery on lead guitar]
- Haunted Memories [new song]
- Fallout (Of The 5th Kind) [new song]
- A Moment of Zen [new song]
- Dusk (The Rising) [Remixed Trance Remix]
- A Million Miles Away (I Wish I Had A Time Machine) [Album Edit 5:04]
Mixed by John Mitchell except 1/7 - Mixed by Robin Boult 2 - Mixed by Mike Hunter / Mastered by John Mitchell and Mike Hunter
"In The Last Waking Moments" [EP SINGLE]
- In The Last Waking Moments... [Single Edit 4:58]
- Through The Ages [new song]
- Spiraling [Live in Montreal]
- A Million Miles Away (I WIsh I Had A TIme Machine) [Live in Montreal]
- In The Last Waking Moments... [Album Edit 7:58]
Mixed by Mike Hunter except 5 - Mixed by Robin Boult / Mastered by Mike Hunter
Live Tracks recorded by Phil Brown during Marillion Montreal Weekend Convention 2013 and Mixed by Mike Hunter
Robin Boult appears on Rhythm Guitar at the end of Tracks 1 and 5
"In The First Waking Moments..." [Demos, Out-takes, Alternate Versions and Remixes of In the Last Waking Moments...]
- Dusk [The Sugar Loaf Sessions]
- Fracture 1.0
- A Million Miles Away (I Wish I Had A Time Machine) 3.1 [Original version with Pete Trewavas on Lead Vocals]
- Fallout 2 [Doc Pulse Mix]
- Blackwater [Original version of Outerspaced with Eric Blackwood on Lead Vocals]
- Spiraling [Pre-Rothers Mix - Original Version before Steve Rothery's addition]
- The “Other” Other Dimension [Pre-Mad Jack Mix - Original Version before Mark Kelly's addition]
- The “Other” Other Elevator Music ["Elevator Music Version" from the film "DeStressed"]
- The “Other” Other On Hold Music ["On Hold Music Version" from the film "DeStressed" featuring Pete Trewavas on Rap]
- The Doctors [Solo of "The Doctors" conversation in "The "Other" Other Dimension"]
- In The Last Waking Moments... [Alternate Chorus Version. Original Version with Original Chorus]
- Taking Aliens Filter [Writing Session of Lifeline]
- Squonkie [Original Version of The Awakening with "The Longing" as the Bridge instead of "Slow Burn"]
- The Awakening (The Dawn)
- The Longing
- The Awakening (The Dusk)
- Awakening Chorus 4 [Original Version of Fallout of the 4th Kind with different lyrics and a flute solo]
- Dusk [Orchestral Instrumental Version]
- Fracture [24 Remix from the film "DeStressed"]
- Irene [New Song written while Hurricane Irene shut down the sessions. Recorded on Sony Camera's audio by Wendy Farrell-Pastore]
- Rolling... [Outtakes of Pete Trewavas breaking into comedy instead of recording his vocals during ITLWM sessions]
Mixed by Pete Trewavas and Eric Blackwood / Mastered by Eric Blackwood.
Limited Edition release of only 500 copies.
Other Physical CD Releases and CD Samplers
- Fracture (Fallout of the 1st Kind / The Last Refrain) also appears on the Classic Rock - Prog Magazine CD sampler release for July 2012
- The Awakening (Slow Burn) also appears on Marillion's Racket Records release "Playing Around"
- Spiraling also appears on the Fireworks UK Magazine CD Sampler for June 2012
(Released to 160 U.S. Radio Stations on June 18, 2012)
- FMQB reports that A Million Miles Away debuted @ 109 on the Hot-AC radio Charts... the highest debut song for any song on the week of 6/26/2012, (which featured debuts from previous American Idol winners).
- By Week 12 on 9/12/2012, FMQB reported that Edison's Children's A Million Miles Away (I Wish I Had A Time Machine) had reached the Top 40 on the HOT A/C U.S. Commercial Radio Play charts coming in at #39.
- By Week 17 on 10/19/2012 FMQB reported that Edison's Children's A Million Miles Away (I Wish I Had A Time Machine) had reached its peak position of #32 on the U.S. Commercial Radio chart
- Week 21 11/14/2012 FMQB reported that Edison's Children's A Million Miles Away (I Wish I Had A Time Machine) had maintained its 10th straight week in the Top 40  before dropping out of the Top 40 on 11/21/2012 due to the introduction of the Hot A/C chart's Holiday Music additions.
- "Radio Industry News, Music Industry Updates, Arbitron Ratings, Music News and more!". FMQB. Retrieved 2012-09-24.
- "The Official Marillion Website | Racket Records Online Shop". marillion.com. Retrieved 2012-09-24.
- "Transatlantic - The Official Site". Transatlanticweb.com. Retrieved 2012-09-24.
- "Edison's Children - Pete Trewavas / Eric Blackwood - "In The Last Waking Moments"". Edisonschildren.com. 2001-08-11. Retrieved 2012-09-24.
- "Edison's Children - Progressive Rock Music Forum". Progarchives.com. Retrieved 2012-09-24.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Edison's Children.|