Ein Shemer Airfield
This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Ein Shemer Airport|
מנחת עין שמר
|Elevation AMSL||95 ft / 29 m|
Ein Shemer Airport (Hebrew: מנחת עין שמר) is an Israeli army airport in northern Israel, located approximately 6 km east of Hadera. Before 1948 it was operated by the British Royal Air Force as RAF Ein Shemer.
Since 2002 the base houses a complete Arrow 2 Theater Anti Ballistic Missile battery which includes around 150-200 Arrow 2 Block 4 missiles, several launchers, the Great Pine Radar (Green Pine 2 Radar) with a 1000 kilometer range and the Yellow Citron & Brown Nut elements of the system.
In 2008 and again in 2012, the Israeli government proposed closing down Sde Dov and Herzlia airports and relocating their general aviation activities to an expanded Ein Shemer airfield. Nearby residents however expressed strong opposition to the plan. A final decision on the matter has not been made yet.
RAF Ein Shemer
- No. 6 Squadron RAF (1946) Supermarine Spitfire LF9
- No. 13 Squadron RAF (1946) de Havilland Mosquito PR34
- No. 18 Squadron RAF (1946) Avro Lancaster ASR3
- No. 32 Squadron RAF (1946-1948) Supermarine Spitfire IX and FR18
- No. 37 Squadron RAF (1947) Avro Lancaster MR3
- No. 38 Squadron RAF detachment (1946-1947) Avro Lancaster GR3
- No. 178 Squadron RAF (1945) Consolidated Liberator VI
- No. 208 Squadron RAF (1946-1948) Supermarine Spitfire VII and FR18
- No. 214 Squadron RAF (1945) Consolidated Liberator VIII
- No. 621 Squadron RAF (1946) Avro Lancaster ASR3
- No. 651 Squadron RAF (1946-1947) Auster III and Auster AOP6
- No. 680 Squadron RAF (1946) de Havilland Mosquito PR34
- Lake, Alan. "Flying Units of the RAF".Airlife Publishing. Shrewsbury. 1999. ISBN 1-84037-086-6
- Jefford, Wing Commander C.G., MBE, BA, RAF (Retd). RAF Squadrons, a Comprehensive Record of the Movement and Equipment of all RAF Squadrons and their Antecedents since 1912. Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK: Airlife Publishing, 2001. ISBN 1-84037-141-2.
|This article about an Asian airport is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Israel Defense Forces-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|