Ellen's Game of Games
|Ellen's Game of Games|
|Created by||Ellen DeGeneres|
|Presented by||Ellen DeGeneres|
|Narrated by||Stephen "tWitch" Boss|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||11|
|Picture format||1080i (HDTV)|
|Original release||December 18, 2017 – present|
|Related shows||The Ellen DeGeneres Show|
Ellen's Game of Games, also known as Game of Games and stylized as ellen's GAME OF GAMES, is an American television game show that premiered on December 18, 2017. In March 2017, NBC ordered six (later eight) hour-long episodes of the series. Ellen DeGeneres serves as host, while Stephen "tWitch" Boss appears as announcer/sidekick. The series is based on game segments from DeGeneres' daytime talk show, The Ellen DeGeneres Show. A special preview episode aired on December 18, 2017, with the official series premiere on January 2, 2018. On January 9, 2018, NBC renewed the series for a 13-episode second season.
|Season||Episodes||Originally aired||Nielsen ratings|
|First aired||Last aired||Rank||Average viewers|
|1||8||December 18, 2017||February 6, 2018||N/A||N/A|
|2||13||December 12, 2018||N/A||N/A||N/A|
This section may require copy editing. (October 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Each episode is a self-contained mini-tournament with contestants being selected to play in one of four preliminary games. The winner of each game advances to the semi-final round to play "Know or Go." The last remaining player will play the "Hot Hands" game for a chance to win $100,000.
- Aw Snap: Contestants are joined by a bungee cord. The first contestant to move five apples into a basket using only their teeth advances.
- Blindfolded Musical Chairs: Five contestants are blindfolded. In four different heat levels, the contestants have to dance around until the music stops. DeGeneres then presses buttons that cause a number of stools to rise up from the dance floor. As in musical chairs, the contestants who are able to sit on one of the chairs, advance to the next round. The one contestant left standing in each heat is eliminated. At the end of the fourth round, the final contestant advances. On the Christmas special, this game is also known as "Blindfolded Musical Packages"
- Danger Word: Two teams of two members each play this game. Similar to the game show Password, one person on each team is shown a "winning word" and must give clues to help their partner guess it. The two teams alternate giving clues; a correct guess earns a strike for the opposing team, whose guesser is then sprayed in the face with the contents of one of three cannons. Each round also features a secret "danger word" that is related to the winning word; if a guesser says the danger word, he/she is sprayed and his/her team earns a strike. The first team to earn three strikes is eliminated, and one member of the winning team advances to "Know or Go."
- Dizzy Dash: The game starts with DeGeneres reading aloud a trivia question to the contestants. Before contestants can answer, they are spun around in order to disorient them. To answer the question, the contestants must run to a nearby podium and grab the ball on top of it. The first contestant to answer three questions correctly advances to the next round.
- Don't Leave Me Hanging: In this game, three contestants are suspended in the air from harnesses. The contestants take turns to guess answers that fit a given category, such as "States that end in 'A'". A category ends when one contestant gives an incorrect answer, repeats a previous answer, or takes too long to respond; when that happens, the contestant gets a strike. A contestant who gets three strikes is eliminated and launched to the top of the studio.
- In Your Face, Honey: This is a game played with couples that compete against each other. One member from each couple attempts to throw a ball as close to a target as possible. Whichever couple accumulates the most points after two attempts decides who will advance to "Know or Go."
- Knockin' Boots: This game is nearly identical to Don't leave Me Hanging, however, the contestants are risked to be kicked by a giant boots.
- Make It Rain: For this game, two contestants answer trivia questions asked by DeGeneres for turns at pulling down one of several umbrellas. One of the umbrellas contains a cash prize of $10,000, in addition to a chance at playing "Know or Go." The rest of the umbrellas are filled with water.
- Master Blaster: This game involves three contestants attached to bungee cords. The contestants then compete to solve a jigsaw-style puzzle. The losing contestants are "blasted" into the air and do not proceed to the next round.
- Mount St. Ellen:
- One-Eyed Monster: In this game, one by one, contestants enter a prop monster. They must answer a question with the numbers: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5. For each wrong answer, the contestant must pull one of the monster's teeth (e.g., if the correct answer is 3, saying either 2 or 4 results in pulling one tooth). However, if the contestant gets the answer exactly right, he or she will not have to pull out any of the monster's teeth and is safe. Pulling the wrong tooth causes the monster's jaws to snap shut, eliminating the contestant.
- Oh Ship!:
- Say Whaaaat?: This game involves two teams of four that compete against each other. One member of the team must relay a message to the other member who is wearing a set of headphones and therefore must use lip reading. The team that collects the most points wins and chooses one member to compete in the "Know or Go" round. If there is a tie, the teams must play again.
- Scary-Go-Round: Contestants in this game must try to move three large balls across a series of rotating platforms within three minutes. The second contestant can fire balls from a "ball blaster" to impede the first contestant's progress. The contestant who completes the task in the fastest time wins. If there is a tie, the contestants must play again.
- The Stink Tank: This game is basically the same concept as You Bet Your Wife, but instead of the players who are on stage naming the number of items, the players who are standing with Ellen answer.
- Tuba Toothpaste: Contestants sit at separate banks of 10 buttons that resemble the valves on a tuba. DeGeneres asks a series of trivia questions, one to each contestant in turn. If a contestant answers incorrectly, DeGeneres spins a wheel to determine how many buttons (one, two, or three) he/she must press. One button triggers a blast of toothpaste into the contestant's face and eliminates him/her from the game.
- You Bet Your Wife: In this game, two teams of spouses or fiancés compete against each other. One partner from each couple is suspended from the ceiling in a harness. The other two partners do an auction-style bid on how many answers their partners can give in a given category (e.g., "national brands of toothpaste") within the 30-second timeframe. When one of the partners on the ground issues a challenge, the other team's suspended partner must give the required number of responses. There is no penalty for incorrect answers. Giving the required number of responses earns that team one point, while the opposing team's suspended partner gets dropped. If the challenged team fails, the corresponding spouse is dropped. The first team to earn three points wins and chooses one member of the pair to advance. On the Christmas special, this game is also known as "It's a Wonderful Wife"
Know or Go
The winners of the four preliminary games stand on a row of trap doors. Each in turn is asked one question at a time, on a variety of topics. An incorrect answer results in the contestant being eliminated from the game and dropped through the trap door, sliding down a chute that empties out below the stage. The last contestant standing advances to the Hot Hands game.
In Season 1, the last contestant in the sequence could win by default if the other three each missed their first question. Season 2 eliminates this possibility with a rule change that goes into effect once two contestants have been eliminated. If either of the remaining contestants misses his/her question, the other must give the correct answer in order to win and advance to Hot Hands. If both contestants miss the same question, the game continues.
The contestant has 30 seconds to identify the faces of ten celebrities that fit a certain category (e.g. "80s Stars"). After identifying a celebrity, the contestant must press a button to move on to the next face. Contestants may pass if they are unsure but will need to wait three seconds until the next face automatically appears. Contestants earn an escalating amount of money based on the number of faces they correctly identify, as shown in the table below. Correctly identifying ten celebrities earns the grand prize of $100,000.
|1||"Game of Games"||December 18, 2017||1.7/6||7.23||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|2||"I'll Have What She's Playing"||January 2, 2018||2.2/8||8.84||0.3||0.95||2.5||9.77|
|3||"Say Hello to My Little Friends"||January 2, 2018||2.4/8||8.88||0.3||1.00||2.7||9.87|
|4||"Hasta la Vista, Honey!"||January 9, 2018||2.1/8||7.87||0.3||0.87||2.4||8.76|
|5||"Just Keep Spinning"||January 16, 2018||2.2/8||8.78||0.2||0.89||2.4||9.67|
|6||"You Can't Handle the Toothpaste"||January 23, 2018||1.8/7||7.57||0.3||0.85||2.2||8.42|
|7||"Ellen, We Have a Problem"||January 30, 2018||1.8/7||7.58||0.2||0.80||2.0||8.37|
|8||"I See Dizzy People"||February 6, 2018||1.9/7||7.70||0.2||0.74||2.1||8.45|
|1||"Game of Games Holiday Spectacular"||December 12, 2018||1.2/5||5.94||TBD||TBD||TBD||TBD|
|2||"The Stink Tank Strikes Back"||January 8, 2019||1.5/6||6.53||TBD||TBD||TBD||TBD|
|3||"Parent Snapped"||January 15, 2019||TBD||TBD||TBD||TBD||TBD||TBD|
|4||"Air Force One Eyed Monster"||January 22, 2019||TBD||TBD||TBD||TBD||TBD||TBD|
Legend: Currently airing No longer airing Upcoming
|Country||Local title||Channel||Presenter||Premiere date||End date|
|Germany||Game of Games||Sat.1||Bülent Ceylan||September 14, 2018||October 19, 2018|
|Australia||Game of Games||Network Ten||Grant Denyer||October 7, 2018||December 9, 2018|
|Spain||Juego de juegos||Antena 3||Silvia Abril||TBA||TBA|
- Schwindt, Oriana (March 2, 2017). "NBC Orders Ellen DeGeneres Game Show 'Ellen's Game of Games'". Variety.
- Vick, Megan (May 14, 2017). "NBC's Fall Schedule: This Is Us to Compete with ABC's TGIT". TV Guide.
- "'NBC Fills Remaining Winter Time Periods with "The Wall," "Ellen's Game of Games'". The Futon Critic. November 28, 2017. Retrieved November 28, 2017.
- Nemetz, Dave (January 9, 2018). "Ellen's Game of Games Renewed for Season 2 at NBC". TVLine. Retrieved January 9, 2018.
- "Shows A-Z - ellen's game of games on NBC". The Futon Critic. Retrieved December 12, 2018.
- Porter, Rick (December 19, 2017). "'Christmas Light Fight,' 'The Year in Memoriam,' 'Popstar's Best of 2017' adjust down: Monday final ratings". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved December 19, 2017.
- Porter, Rick (January 4, 2018). "'Bull' adjusts up: Tuesday final ratings". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved January 4, 2018.
- Porter, Rick (January 12, 2018). "'9-1-1' premiere gets a good boost in the week 15 broadcast Live +3 ratings". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved June 15, 2018.
- Porter, Rick (January 10, 2018). "'Kevin (Probably) Saves the World' adjusts down: Tuesday final ratings". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved January 10, 2018.
- Porter, Rick (January 20, 2018). "'This Is Us' ties 'Big Bang Theory' in week 16 broadcast Live +3 ratings". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved June 15, 2018.
- Porter, Rick (January 18, 2018). "Originals all hold, 'Modern Family' rerun adjusts down: Tuesday final ratings". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved January 18, 2018.
- Porter, Rick (January 29, 2018). "'The Good Doctor' matches 'The Resident' in week 17 broadcast Live +3 ratings". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved June 15, 2018.
- Welch, Alex. "'LA to Vegas' and 'Bull' adjust down: Tuesday final ratings". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved 25 January 2018.
- Porter, Rick (February 5, 2018). "'This Is Us' makes bigger-than-average gain in week 18 broadcast Live +3 ratings". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved June 15, 2018.
- Porter, Rick (January 31, 2018). "'Fresh Off the Boat' adjusts down, plus State of the Union analysis numbers: Tuesday final ratings". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved January 31, 2018.
- Porter, Rick (February 12, 2018). "Post-Super Bowl 'This Is Us' gets even bigger in week 19 broadcast Live +3 ratings". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved June 15, 2018.
- Porter, Rick (February 7, 2018). "'NCIS' and 'Bull' adjust up: Tuesday final ratings". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved February 7, 2018.
- Porter, Rick (February 19, 2018). "'NCIS' and 'This Is Us' lead non-Olympic shows in week 20 broadcast Live +3 ratings". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved June 15, 2018.
- Welch, Alex (December 13, 2018). "'Riverdale,' 'The Goldbergs,' 'SEAL Team,' everything else unchanged : Wednesday final ratings". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved December 13, 2018.
- Welch, Alex (January 9, 2019). "'Black-ish' and 'The Gifted' adjust up: Tuesday final ratings". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved January 9, 2019.
- "Game of Games for TEN". tvtonight.com.au. May 19, 2018.
- García, Ricky (April 3, 2018). "Silvia Abril será la Ellen DeGeneres española: presentará 'Game of games' en Antena 3". elperiodico,com (in Spanish).