|Author||John W. Dower|
|Publisher||W.W. Norton & Co.|
|Media type||Print (hardcover)|
|Preceded by||The Bombed: Hiroshima and Nagasaki in Japanese Memory, Diplomatic History 19, no. 2|
|Followed by||Cultures of War: Pearl Harbor, Hiroshima, 9-11, Iraq|
Embracing Defeat: Japan in the Wake of World War II is a history book written by John W. Dower and published by W. W. Norton & Company in 1999. The book covers the difficult social, economic, cultural and political situation of Japan in the aftermath of World War II and the nation's occupation by the Allies between August 1945 and April 1952, delving into topics such as the administration of Douglas MacArthur, the Tokyo war crimes trials, Hirohito's controversial Humanity Declaration and the drafting of the new Constitution of Japan.
Described by The New York Times as "magisterial and beautifully written," the book won the 2000 Pulitzer Prize for General Non-Fiction, the 1999 National Book Award, the 2000 Bancroft Prize, the 2000 L.L. Winship/PEN New England Award, the Mark Lynton History Prize and the 1999 Los Angeles Times Book Prize.
- Dower, John W (1999). Embracing defeat: Japan in the wake of World War II (2003 ed.). W.W. Norton & Co. ISBN 978-0-393-32027-5. Total pages: 676.
- ^ Dower, John W. (1999). Embracing Defeat: Japan in the Wake of World War II. W. W. Norton & Company. pp. 676 pages. ISBN 0-393-04686-9.
Embracing Defeat: Japan in the Wake of World War II.
- ^ "This Space Occupied". The New York Times. 1999-07-04.
- ^ "Pulitzer Prize Winners: General Non-Fiction" (web). pulitzer.org. Retrieved 2008-03-13.
- ^ "National Book Awards – 1999" (web). National Book Foundation. 2012. Retrieved 2012-02-20. (With acceptance speech.)
- ^ "The Bancroft Prizes; Previous Awards". Columbia University Libraries. Archived from the original (web) on 2007-07-14. Retrieved 2008-03-13.
- ^ "1999 Los Angeles Times Book Prize Winners". Los Angeles Times. 2007. Archived from the original (web) on 2002-06-04. Retrieved 2008-03-13.
- Embracing Defeat at Open Library
- First Chapter
- Interview with Dower on Embracing Defeat, Booknotes, March 26, 2000
- History books about World War II
- Books about Japan
- Occupied Japan
- Pulitzer Prize for General Non-Fiction-winning works
- National Book Award for Nonfiction winning works
- 1999 non-fiction books
- W. W. Norton & Company books
- Bancroft Prize-winning works
- Asian history book stubs
- Japanese history stubs
- World War II book stubs