Employee of the Month (podcast)
|Employee of the Month|
|Hosted by||Catie Lazarus|
|Genre||Entertainment, finance, advice, talk show|
|Original release||2010 – present|
Employee of the Month is a talk show hosted by Catie Lazarus that features guests with jobs of interest, ranging from television personalities and musicians to comedians and puppeteers. It began as a live show in 2010 and became a podcast in 2012. Lazarus has hosted live tapings at Upright Citizens Brigade Theater in New York City, 92 Y in Los Angeles and The Bell House in Brooklyn. It has been syndicated for airing on Sirius XM Radio. The show is currently performed and taped live at Joe's Pub in New York City monthly.
Lazarus hatched the idea for the podcast when she was frustrated with her own attempt at finding a job, which led her to approach successful people to talk about their work and how they had landed their dream jobs.
The show has been called “beloved” by The New York Times, and "hilarious" and "ambitious" by BlackBook. The New Yorker praised the show for its "extremely notable" guests and Lazarus' "decidedly unorthodox" interview style. New York featured the show in its "Seriously Funny" section, calling Lazarus "adorable" as she "picks the brains of folks with much cooler jobs than yours".
Gothamist wrote that "Catie Lazarus Is One Of The Finest Live Talk Show Hosts In NYC," urging its readers to catch Lazarus and her "consistently... incredible guests" at her live show at Joe's Pub in the Village.
Notable interview subjects
Jon Stewart chose Employee of the Month to give his first interview after announcing his decision to retire from the Daily Show in February, 2015. Stewart follows many of his Daily Show collaborators, including Aasif Mandvi, Dave Attell, Wyatt Cenac, Buck Henry, Mo Rocca, David Wain, and Lewis Black as guests on the show; in turn, Lazarus herself appeared in the Daily Show in a sketch about a prequel to Hot Tub Time Machine. Stewart discussed some of his future plans, assuring fans that he was not retiring. Though he plans to spend more time with his family, he suggested that he would continue writing – to which Lazarus later responded by giving him a notebook as a parting gift - and even that he could return to stand-up comedy.
- "EMPLOYEE of the MONTH". iTunes. Retrieved July 7, 2013.
- "Employee of the Month Catie Lazarus". 92 Y Online. Retrieved July 7, 2013.
- "About: EMPLOYEE of the MONTH". Retrieved July 9, 2013.
- "Job seeker’s futile efforts lead to career ‘talk show’". New York Post. Retrieved July 9, 2013.
- "EMPLOYEE of the MONTH". SoundCloud. Retrieved July 8, 2013.
- "Comedy Listings for April 26-May 2". The New York Times. Retrieved July 7, 2013.
- "Rachel Maddow, Gloria Steinem, and Hari Kunzru Dish on Employee of the Month". BlackBook. Retrieved July 9, 2013.
- "Above and Beyond". The New Yorker. Retrieved July 9, 2013.
- "Seriously Funny". New York Magazine. Retrieved July 9, 2013.
- "Catie Lazarus Is One Of The Finest Live Talk Show Hosts In NYC". Gothamist. Retrieved July 31, 2014.
- "Jon Stewart Is Ready for 'Next Iteration' of 'Daily Show' - Rolling Stone". Rolling Stone.