Erwin Gutawa in 2004
16 May 1962 |
|Occupation(s)||Bassist, composer, arranger, conductor, producer|
|Years active||1985 – present|
Erwin Gutawa (born 16 May 1962) is an Indonesian composer and father of Gita Gutawa. In 1985, he started his professional music career by joining the jazz band Karimata, later becoming an independent composer in 1991. As a composer, he won the 1992 Midnight Sun Song Festival in Finland together with Ruth Sahanaya. In 2001 he won the Anugerah Musik Indonesia award for best music arranger for his concert Rockestra.
Erwin Gutawa was born in Jakarta, Indonesia, on 16 May 1962. As a child, he enjoyed playing basketball and association football; during this period he also played music on Bina Musika under the direction of Agus Rusli on Televisi Republik Indonesia. As a teen he continued playing music with his friends. After graduating high school, Gutawa earned a bachelor's degree in architecture from the University of Indonesia.
In the early 1980s Gutawa worked as sound arranger for the TVRI series Telerama. However, his professional career began in the 1985 when he joined the jazz band Karimata as a bassist, playing along with Candra Darusman, Aminoto Kosin, Denny T.R. and Uce Hariono. Together with Karimata, he performed at the North Sea Jazz Festival in The Hague that same year.
During that period, he also worked as an arranger and producer for other singers. After Karimata disbanded in 1991, Gutawa formed his own orchestra and worked as a composer. Besides composing, Gutawa also organised concerts for other artists.
On 3 November 2000, Gutawa presented Rockestra, a rock concert featuring Slank, Gigi, and Dewa. Involving an orchestra of 85 musicians, the concert was held at the Plenary Hall of the Jakarta Convention Center. Guest musicians included Ahmad Albar, Roni Harahap, Jockie Soerjoprajogo, and Nicky Astria.
On 16 May 2002, Gutawa celebrated his 40th birthday by holding his first solo concert, Konser EG. It took place at the Plenary Hall of the Jakarta Convention Center and also featured Chrisye, Ruth Sahanaya, Krisdayanti, Sheila on Seven, and Slank. Since then, he has held numerous concerts, including the Islamic-themed The Spirit of Ramadhan (2008) and a farewell concert for his daughter Gita Gutawa entitled A Masterpiece of Erwin Gutawa (2011).
In 1992, Erwin Gutawa and Ruth Sahanaya's song "Kaulah Segalanya" (English: "You are Everything") won the 5th Midnight Sun Song Festival in Finland. In 2001 he won the Anugerah Musik Indonesia award for best music arranger for his album Rockestra.
- Kala Cinta Menggoda (1997, for Chrisye)
- Badai Pasti Berlalu (1999, for Chrisye)
- Konser Tur 2001 (2001, for Chrisye)
- Dekade (2002, for Chrisye)
- Senyawa (2004, for Chrisye)
- Salute to Koes Plus/Bersaudara (2004)
- Rockestra (2007)
- Balada Shalawat (2010, for Gita Gutawa)
- Jodhi Yudono (19 February 2011). "Rekomendasi Musik Erwin Gutawa" [Erwin Gutawa's Music Recommendations] (in Indonesian). Kompas. Retrieved 11 July 2011.
- "Erwin Gutawa: It’s all about music and family". The Jakarta Post. 18 April 2010. Retrieved 11 July 2011.
- Hera Diani (12 May 2002). "Erwin an all-round concert maestro". The Jakarta Post. Retrieved 11 July 2011.
- Helly Minarti (3 November 2000). "Rock the nite away with the 'Rockestra'". The Jakarta Post. Retrieved 11 July 2011.
- "Erwin Gutawa to hold solo concert". The Jakarta Post. 11 May 2002. Retrieved 11 July 2011.
- "Erwin to hold Islamic concert". The Jakarta Post. 13 August 2008. Retrieved 11 July 2011.
- "Gita Gutawa to Sign Off at Farewell Concert". The Jakarta Globe. 30 January 2011. Retrieved 11 July 2011.
- "Erwin Gutawa Cari "Artis Komplit"" [Erwin Gutawa is Looking for a "Complete Artist"] (in Indonesian). Gatra. 7 January 2010. Retrieved 11 July 2011.
- "Erwin Gutawa" (in Indonesian). Tokoh Indonesia.com. Retrieved 11 July 2011.