|Mission type||ISS Expedition|
|Space Station||International Space Station|
|Began||13 May 2013|
|Ended||10 September 2013|
|Arrived aboard||Soyuz TMA-08M
|Departed aboard||Soyuz TMA-08M
Karen L. Nyberg
Expedition 36 was the 36th long-duration mission to the International Space Station.
(May 2013 to September 2013)
|Commander|| Pavel Vinogradov, RSA
|Flight Engineer 1|| Aleksandr Misurkin, RSA
|Flight Engineer 2|| Chris Cassidy, NASA
|Flight Engineer 3|| Karen L. Nyberg, NASA
|Flight Engineer 4|| Fyodor Yurchikhin, RSA
|Flight Engineer 5|| Luca Parmitano, ESA
On 2013 June 16, the 50th anniversary of Vostok 6, the first spaceshot by a woman, Valentina Tereshkova, Karen L. Nyberg was one of two women in space, the other being Wang Yaping aboard Tiangong-1 on the Shenzhou 10 mission.
On 2013 July 16, during EVA-23, Luca Parmitano reported that water was steadily leaking into his helmet. Flight controllers elected to abort the EVA immediately, and Parmitano made his way back to the Quest airlock, followed by Chris Cassidy, with whom he was performing the EVA. The airlock began re-pressurizing after a 1-hour and 32 minute spacewalk, and by this time Parmitano was having difficulty seeing, hearing, and speaking due to the amount of water in his suit. After re-pressurization, commander Pavel Vinogradov and crew member Fyodor Yurchikhin quickly removed Parmitano's helmet and soaked up the water with towels. Despite the incident, Parmitano was reported to be in good spirits and suffered no injury.
- "Expedition 35 Crew Lands Safely in Kazakhstan". NASA. Retrieved 2013-05-14.
- "NASA And Partners Name Upcoming Space Station Crew Members". NASA. Retrieved 2011-02-19.
- Ken Kremer (16 June 2013). "Cosmonaut Valentina Tereshkova; 1st Woman in Space 50 Years Ago! Ready for Mars". Universe Today.
- "EVA-23 terminated due to EVA-23 terminated due to Parmitano EMU issue". NASASpaceFlight. 16 July 2013.
- "Spacewalk aborted by spacesuit water leak". SpaceflightNow. 16 July 2013.
- "EVA-23 terminated due to EVA-23 terminated due to Parmitano EMU issue". NASA. 16 July 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to ISS Expedition 36.|