|Directed by||Karl Hartl|
|Written by||Curt Siodmak
Peter Lorre (German version)
Jean Murat (French version)
Leslie Fenton (English version)
The novel was turned into a film in 1932, directed by Karl Hartl — it was produced as a Multilingual version (MLV) one film each in German, French, and English. Filming multiple versions in different languages was common in the early sound film period.
Lieutenant Droste wants to build an air station in the middle of the ocean to allow pilots on intercontinental flights to refuel and repair any damage to their aircraft. With the help of the pilot Ellissen, he manages to win the support of the Lennartz-Werke for the project. Ellissen, who has taken up with the owner's sister Claire Lennartz, shies away from marriage and seeks new adventure.
After two years, the platform has become a city on the ocean, with runways, hangars, hotels, and shopping centers. During a storm, the connection to the platform is severed. The last sounds to come over the telephone were gunshots and screams. The weather clears and the best pilots immediately head for F.P.1. Ellissen, in a lovesick depression, is convinced by Claire to accompany her to the platform. Their plane crashes on the island but they survive.
The crew of F.P.1 has been the victim of a saboteur, who knocked them out with gas. Before chief engineer Damsky fled in a boat, he opened the valves, causing a danger that F.P.1 will sink. Claire finds the badly injured Droste and takes care of him. Ellissen has to recognize that Claire is slipping away from him. After a short time, he pulls himself together and takes a plane out to get help. He sees a ship, jumps from his plane, is taken aboard the ship, and calls for help via radio. A fleet of ships and planes are sent to rescue F.P.1.
- German Version (F.P.1 antwortet nicht)
- Hans Albers as Ellissen
- Sybille Schmitz as Claire Lennartz
- Paul Hartmann: Kapitänleutnant Droste
- Peter Lorre as Bildreporter Jonny
- Hermann Speelmans as Chefingenieur Damsky
- Erik Ode as Konrad Lennartz
- Werner Schott as Matthias Lennartz
- Gustav Püttjer as Mann mit der Fistelstimme
- Georg John as Maschinist
- English Version (Floating Platform 1 Does Not Answer)
- Conrad Veidt as Maj. Ellissen
- Jill Esmond as Claire Lennartz
- Leslie Fenton as Capt. B.E. Droste
- Donald Calthrop as Sunshine, the Photographer
- George Merritt as Lubin
- William Freshman as Conrad Lennartz
- Nicholas Hannen as Matthias Lennartz
- French Version (I.F.1 Ne Repond Plus)
- Charles Boyer as Ellissen
- Danielle Parola as Claire Lennartz
- Jean Murat as Capitaine Droste
- Marcel Vallée as Damsky, le saboteur
- Pierre Piérade as Le photographe
- Richard, Joachim C. Fest ; translated from the German by; Winston, Clara (2002). Hitler. San Diego: Harcourt Inc. ISBN 0156027542.
- Translated from the German version of this page