Fairfield Township, Highland County, Ohio
|Fairfield Township, Highland County, Ohio|
Rattlesnake Creek on the township's northeastern border
Location of Fairfield Township in Highland County
|• Total||39.7 sq mi (102.8 km2)|
|• Land||39.7 sq mi (102.8 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||981 ft (299 m)|
|• Density||81.1/sq mi (31.3/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086303|
Fairfield Township is one of the seventeen townships of Highland County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 3,219 people in the township, 1,683 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the northern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Green Township, Fayette County - north
- Perry Township, Fayette County - northeast corner
- Madison Township - east
- Paint Township - southeast
- Penn Township - southwest
- Green Township, Clinton County - west
- Wayne Township, Clinton County - northwest
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Highland County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.