Falling in Love (Is Hard on the Knees)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2012)|
|"Falling in Love (Is Hard on the Knees)"|
|Single by Aerosmith|
|from the album Nine Lives|
|Released||February 11, 1997|
|Genre||Hard rock, blues rock, rock n roll|
|Writer(s)||Steven Tyler, Joe Perry, Glen Ballard|
|Aerosmith singles chronology|
"Falling in Love (Is Hard on the Knees)" is a song performed by American hard rock band Aerosmith. It was written by Steven Tyler, Joe Perry and record producer/writer Glen Ballard. Glen Ballard had originally been the producer and a songwriting collaborator for the Nine Lives album, but was replaced by Kevin Shirley halfway through the recording process of Nine Lives.
"Falling in Love" was released as the first major single from Nine Lives in 1997. The song is certainly a rocking number, yet maintains the mainstream appeal found in the former Get a Grip singles. The horns arrangements were written by Steven Tyler and David Campbell.
Lead singer Steven Tyler got the inspiration for the title off a bumper sticker he saw a few years previously. The line "But you like the way I hold the microphone" was a reference to an almost identical line in The Rolling Stones' 1965 song "The Spider and the Fly".
A music video was produced to promote the single. The video was directed by Michael Bay, and had a surreal landscape described as "12 Monkeys meets Brazil", which was meant to parody grunge videos. Many supermodels, such as Angie Everhart, are featured dressed as nurses, dominatrices and princesses.
|1.||"Falling in Love (Is Hard on the Knees)" (LP version)||3:25|
|2.||"Fall Together" (LP version)||4:38|
|3.||"Sweet Emotion" (LP version)||4:34|
|4.||"Seasons of Wither" (LP version)||5:39|
The song was a popular radio hit around the world, reaching number 35 on the US Billboard Hot 100, number 1 on the US Mainstream Rock Tracks chart (where it remained for five weeks), number 2 in Canada, number 22 on the UK Singles Chart, and number 46 in Australia.
|Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)||35|
|Canadian Singles Chart||2|
|Finland (Suomen virallinen lista)||7|
|Germany (Media Control Charts)||40|
|Netherlands (Single Top 100)||76|
|Polish Singles Chart||11|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||22|
|UK Singles Chart||22|
|US Billboard Hot 100||35|
|US Billboard Mainstream Rock Tracks||1|
|US Billboard Top 40 Mainstream||29|
The video for the song won the band a MTV Video Music Award for Best Rock Video in 1997.
- SPIN - Google Boeken. Books.google.com. Retrieved 2012-02-06.
- "Australian-charts.com – Aerosmith – Falling in Love (Is Hard on the Knees)". ARIA Top 50 Singles. Retrieved April 20, 2015.
- "Austriancharts.at – Aerosmith – Falling in Love (Is Hard on the Knees)" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40. Retrieved April 20, 2015.
- "Aerosmith: Falling in Love (Is Hard on the Knees)" (in Finnish). Musiikkituottajat – IFPI Finland. Retrieved April 20, 2015.
- "Officialcharts.de – Aerosmith – Falling in Love (Is Hard on the Knees)". GfK Entertainment. Retrieved April 20, 2015.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Aerosmith – Falling in Love (Is Hard on the Knees)" (in Dutch). Single Top 100. Retrieved April 20, 2015.
- "Polish Singles Chart |".
- Salaverri, Fernando (September 2005). Sólo éxitos: año a año, 1959–2002 (1st ed.). Spain: Fundación Autor-SGAE. ISBN 84-8048-639-2.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Aerosmith – Falling in Love (Is Hard on the Knees)". Singles Top 60. Retrieved April 20, 2015.
- "Swisscharts.com – Aerosmith – Falling in Love (Is Hard on the Knees)". Swiss Singles Chart. Retrieved April 20, 2015.
"One Headlight" by The Wallflowers
|Billboard Mainstream Rock Tracks number-one single
March 8 – April 5, 1997
"Precious Declaration" by Collective Soul