Fast combat support ship
The fast combat support ship (US Navy hull classification symbol: AOE) is the United States Navy's largest combat logistics ship, designed as an oiler, ammunition and supply ship. All fast combat support ships currently in service are operated by Military Sealift Command. The AOE has the speed to keep up with carrier battle groups and the capacity to fully support their needs. It receives petroleum products, ammunition and stores from various shuttle ships and redistributes these items when needed to ships in the carrier battle group. This greatly reduces the number of service ships needed to travel with carrier battle groups.
||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (May 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
- AOE class at Naval Technology
- AOE class at US Navy Military Sealift Command
- AOE class at US Naval Vessel Register
- US Navy Military Sealift Command front page
- Extensive description and photos of AOE-1 Sacramento at Military Analysis Network (unofficial)