Federal Biomedical Agency
|Formed||1947 / December 26, 1991|
|Jurisdiction||Federal government of Russia|
|Parent agency||Russian Ministry of Health|
The Federal Biomedical Agency or FMBA (Федеральное медико-биологическое агентство, ФМБА России) is the national public health institute of the Russian Federation. The agency is a federal agency under the Ministry of Health and is headquartered in Volokolamsk Highway, in Moscow.
The FMBA was known previously as Federal Directorate for biomedical and Extremal problems until October 11, 2004 when it was renamed into the current name. During the Soviet regime, since 1947, the Third Main Directorate of the Health Care ministry was responsible for such duties; While during the Czarist regime, especially since 1802, the Epidemic Police and the Medical Department of MVD were responsible for such functions.
Today, Its main goal is to protect public health and safety through the control and prevention of disease, injury, and disability. The Agency (FMBA) focuses national attention on developing and applying disease control and prevention. It especially focuses its attention on infectious disease, food borne pathogens, environmental health, occupational safety and health, health promotion, injury prevention and educational activities designed to improve the health of Russian citizens. In addition, the FMBA researches and provides information on non-infectious diseases. The Agency is also responsible for the Russian blood bank.
- The FMBA Blood Center
- Central Medical-Sanitation Unit No. 1, responsible for medical help for Baikonur Cosmodrome workers.
- Directorate for Inspection and control over epidemic and sanitary security
- Directorate for organization of Science researches.
- Main Bureau for Medical and social expertise
- Rosplasma - Russian medicine scientific center for blood plasma.
- Director: Vladimir Viktorovich Uiba
- Deputy Director: Mikhail Phillippovich Kiselev
- Deputy Director: Vladimir Vasilievich Romanov
- Deputy Director: Vyacheslav Alexanderovich Rogozhnikov
- Deputy Director: Dmitry Stanislavovich Zverev
- Deputy Director: Elena Yurievna Khavkina