Francavilla al Mare
Francavilla al Mare
|Comune di Francavilla al Mare|
Francavilla within the Province of Chieti
|Frazioni||Arenaro, Castelvecchio, Cese, Cetti San Biagio, Coderuto, Fontechiaro, Foro, Michetti, Piane, Piane di Vallebona, Piattelli, Pretaro, Quercianotarrocco, San Giovanni, Santa Cecilia, Setteventi, Torre Ciarrapico, Valle Anzuca, Villanesi|
|• Mayor||Antonio Luciani|
|• Total||23.09 km2 (8.92 sq mi)|
|Elevation||19 m (62 ft)|
|• Density||1,100/km2 (2,900/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|Patron saint||St. Frank and St. Liberata|
|Saint day||18 August|
The area was inhabited since prehistory, and early remains have been found at St. Cecilia. In 1162 the village was granted immunity from taxes for 12 years, and this episode also gave origin to the name "Francavilla" (meaning "free town").
The harbour was a flourishing commercial key point in the Adriatic Sea, but in the 16th century was plundered by Turkish troops. The town was held by families such as the Caracciolo and D'Avalos in the following centuries.
In the late 19th century Francavilla was already a well known seaside resort and the seat of an artistic literary circle with relevant figures as Francesco Paolo Michetti, Gabriele D'Annunzio, F.P. Tosti, who met at the "Conventino", in the former monastery of Santa Maria di Gesù.
In 1944 the center was destroyed by Americans and Nazi. Only Michetti convent is conserved between the city is totally built from new.
- Michetti Convent
- Michetti Museum
- Church of Santa Maria Maggiore
- Sirena Palace
The local football club is the A.S.D. Francavilla, founded in 1927, that has its home ground in Valle Anzuca Stadium.
- Guido Celano (1904–1988), actor
- Francesco Paolo Michetti (1851–1929), painter
- Antonio Russo (1960–2000), journalist
- "Superficie di Comuni Province e Regioni italiane al 9 ottobre 2011". Istat. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- "Popolazione Residente al 1° Gennaio 2018". Istat. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- All demographics and other statistics from the Italian statistical institute (Istat)
- 41997 Francavilla al Mare on OpenStreetMap
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Francavilla al Mare.|