|Comune di Scerni|
A panorama of Scerni
|Frazioni||Annunziata, Bardella, Caltrucci, Cerase, Colle Marrollo, Colle Orzo, Fontenuova, Piano dei Fiori, Ragna, San Giacomo, Torrone, Tratturo|
|• Total||41.05 km2 (15.85 sq mi)|
|Elevation||281 m (922 ft)|
|• Density||87/km2 (230/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|Patron saint||San Panfilo|
|Saint day||28 April|
Scerni (Abruzzese: Scìrne) is a town of 3,645 inhabitants of the province of Chieti is part of the Middle Vastese. Total area is 41 square kilometres (16 sq mi), and population density is 89 inhab/km2. The county has borders with Atessa, Gissi, Monteodorisio and Pollutri.
Scerni was once part of the Kingdom of Two Sicilies.
|Climate chart (explanation)|
The town is attractive, amid gentle hills and with a mild climate. It is distinguished by the production of olive oil, wine and sausages (the speciality is the Ventricina variety).
The origins of Scerni are lost in the mists of time. The only certainty is that the site where the village stands now was inhabited in prehistoric and ancient Roman times. In the medieval ages, several castles and fortifications were built in and around the city.
At the time of the French Revolution, the Baron De Riseis sided with the people of the country with Giuseppe Proni from Introdacqua, former cleric of the Marquis of Vasto, against the invasion of the Jacobins
On 25, 26 and 27 February 1860 more than a thousand peasants armed with clubs and halberds invaded the estate of the Marquis D'Avalos, destroying a rural house, stealing firewood and beating up the forest guards. The peasant fury and its numerical superiority defeated the police and the urban guards of Pollutri and Monteodorisio. It was a real uproar led with firearms in hand, led by Michelangelo Tarquinio, Giuseppe "Passaguai" Menna and Luigi Berarducci.
- Giuseppe De Riseis, (Scerni, Chieti, 1833 - Rome, 1924), politician.
- Leonardo Umile (Scerni, 1919 - to Bastia Nardi Licciana, 1944) partisan.
- "Superficie di Comuni Province e Regioni italiane al 9 ottobre 2011". Istat. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- "Popolazione Residente al 1° Gennaio 2018". Istat. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- All demographics and other statistics from the Italian statistical institute (Istat)
- Tabella climatica Scerni, Italia[permanent dead link]
- Massimo Viglione, The Italian Vendée, Effedieffe (1995), pp. 151
- Fulvio D'Amore, Viva Francesco II! Morte a Vittorio Emanuele! Controcorrente (a. 2006), pp. 93