Francisco Linares Alcántara
|Francisco Linares Alcántara|
|President of Venezuela|
27 February 1877 – 30 November 1878
|Preceded by||Antonio Guzmán Blanco|
|Succeeded by||José Gregorio Valera|
|Born||13 April 1825|
Turmero, Aragua state, Venezuela
|Died||30 November 1878 (aged 53)|
La Guaira, Venezuela
|Political party||Liberal Party|
|Spouse(s)||Belén Esteves Yánes|
Francisco de Paula Linares Alcántara (13 April 1825 – 30 November 1878) was President of Venezuela (1877–1878) and a member of the Liberal Party of Venezuela.
Francisco Linares Alcántara was born on April 13, 1825 in Turmero, Aragua to General Francisco de Paula Alcántara and Trinidad Linares. His father was one of the heroes of the Venezuelan War of Independence.
Francisco Linares Alcántara began his career as a soldier in 1846 and fought during the insurrections carried out by Ezequiel Zamora and Francisco Rangel. Due to the political instability in Venezuela from 1847 to 1858, Alcántara also fought to defend state institutions during the administrations of Jose Tadeo Monagas and Jose Gregorio Monagas. By 1854, he became a deputy to the National Congress from the state of Aragua before fighting again during the Federal War (1858-1863) and along with Antonio Guzman Blanco for the Liberal cause between 1868 and 1870.
Alcántara was elected president on February 1877 and his administration became known for its liberal policies such as more autonomy given to the states, political amnesties, and increased freedom of the press.
- (in Spanish) Official biography
- (in Spanish) Francisco Linares Alcántara - “Presidentes Constitucionales de Venezuela”
Antonio Guzmán Blanco
| President of Venezuela
1877 - 1878
José Gregorio Valera
- "VenezuelaTuya". Venezuela Tuya. Retrieved 2018-08-14.
- buscabiografias. "Biografía de Francisco Linares Alcántara". www.buscabiografias.com (in Spanish). Retrieved 2018-08-14.
- Straka, Tomas; Mirabal, Guillermo; Caceres, Alejandro (2017). Historical Dictionary of Venezuela. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield. p. 210. ISBN 9781538109496.