|Categories||Fashion, art, music|
|Based in||Burlington, Vermont|
FutureClaw is an occasionally published fashion, art, music, and culture print magazine founded in 2007 by a group of friends in Burlington, Vermont, US. The magazine took its name from an electro music blog and DJ crew ran by Guy Derry and Adam DeMartino. Bobby Mozumder introduced the idea of creating a photo style-press magazine after collaborating with Derry on a street photo project during Burlington's Art-Hop festival in 2007. The idea of the magazine came to the founders after seeing few high-end American style-press publications compared to the many that exist in Europe and elsewhere around the world.
Issue #4, published April 2010, featured contributions by British socialites Daisy Lowe and Alice Dellal, American socialite Lydia Hearst, actress Emmanuelle Seigner, musician Patti Smith, photographer Ryan McGinley, and futurist Syd Mead. The cover photo featured Lowe fully nude and painted in body paint.
Issue #5, released February 2011, featured contributions by supermodels Cindy Crawford and Niki Taylor, South African rap-rave group Die Antwoord, DJ Harley Viera-Newton, artist Terence Koh, and fashion blogger Leandra Medine (The Man Repeller). The Die Antwoord story included a photo of Watkin Tudor Jones' (Ninja) tattooed penis.
Issue #6 featured contributions by supermodel Helena Christensen, shot in her own apartment in her personal clothing, as well as New York socialite Christophe de Menil, photographer Mick Rock, and artist Thierry Guetta (Mr. Brainwash). The issue featured the magazine's first long-form article, written by screenwriter Linda Boroff and biographer John O'Dowd, about the life and death of Hollywood actress Barbara Payton. The UK's Telegraph newspaper noted it had one of the best fashion magazine covers of August 2013. The cover-story photography featuring a nude Helena Christensen by Gregory Derkenne went viral, and caused the FutureClaw.com website to crash.
- Labberton, Kinsey (8 October 2008), "Arts and Culture Magazine FUTURECLAW Debuts", Seven Days Vermont, retrieved 16 April 2015
- Husni, Samir (3 November 2008), "What's Hot What's New", mrmagazine.com, retrieved 16 April 2015
- "Spry, Future Claw Among Most Interesting Launches of 2008", minonline.com, 19 December 2008, retrieved 16 April 2015
- Goldman, Leah (5 November 2010), "13 Expensive Niche Magazines That Are Still Surviving In Print", BusinessInsider.com, retrieved 16 April 2015
- "E! News Now - Cindy Crawford Still Sexy at 45", E!, 10 February 2011, archived from the original on 2011-02-13
- "Cindy Crawford Dons Leotards & Leopard Print For FutureClaw Magazine", HuffingtonPost.com, 8 February 2011, retrieved 16 April 2015
- "Niki Taylor: 'Put Models Back On Covers Of Magazines'", HuffingtonPost.com, 9 February 2011, retrieved 16 April 2015
- "Best fashion magazine covers: August", The Telegraph, 16 July 2013, retrieved 16 April 2015
- Qureshi, Afsun (16 July 2013), "Helena Christensen's Iron Girls", Style.com, retrieved 16 April 2015
- "FutureClaw Magazine". Issuu.com. Retrieved 16 April 2015.