|• Total||3,199.84 km2 (1,235.47 sq mi)|
|• Land||1,613.37 km2 (622.93 sq mi)|
|• Water||1,586.47 km2 (612.54 sq mi)|
|Area as of 1 January 2014.|
|Population (31 December 2017)|
|• Density||31/km2 (81/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|ISO 3166 code||SE|
The present municipality was created in 1971, when the City of Gävle was amalgamated with four surrounding rural municipalities. All of them were original entities, instituted as municipalities by the local government acts of 1862. The area had not been affected by the national subdivision reform in 1952.
Gävle is situated by the Baltic Sea near the mouth of the river Dalälven. At 60 degrees north and 17 degrees east, Gävle has the same latitude as Helsinki and the same longitude as Vienna and Cape Town.
Gävle has a similar climate to the rest of central Sweden with an average temperature of −5 °C (23 °F) in January and 17 °C (63 °F) in July. Yearly rainfall is around 600 mm (24 in).
The municipal assembly (kommunfullmäktige) has 65 members, elected for a four-year period. The last election was held in September 2014. Eight parties are represented in the assembly. The largest party is the Swedish Social Democratic Party which has 25 seats. The current chairman of the municipal executive committee (kommunstyrelsen) is the social democrat Carina Blank.
Data from 2000.
- Gävle Municipality 8,000
- County Council 8,000
- Stora Enso 1,200
- Ericsson 1,100
- BillerudKorsnäs 1,100
- Lantmäteriet 900
- Buffalo City, South Africa
- Álftanes, Iceland
- Gjøvik, Norway
- Næstved Municipality, Denmark
- Rauma, Finland
- Jūrmala, Latvia
- Galva, Illinois, United States
The University College of Gävle currently enrolls 12,500 students.
It offers courses of study at six departments: Business Administration, Education and Psychology, Caring Sciences and Sociology, Humanities and Social Sciences, Mathematics, Natural and Computer Sciences and Technology, and Built Environment.
Some courses are given in English taught both to visiting students from foreign partner institutions and to Swedish students.
- Municipalities of Sweden
- List of Swedish municipalities
- University College of Gävle
- International Ice Hockey Federation World Championships (1995)
- Gävleborg County Administrative Board
- List of Gävleborg Governors
- "Statistiska centralbyrån, Kommunarealer den 1 januari 2014" (Microsoft Excel) (in Swedish). Statistics Sweden. Retrieved 2014-04-18.
- "Folkmängd i riket, län och kommuner 31 december 2017" (in Swedish). Statistics Sweden. February 21, 2018. Retrieved February 21, 2018.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2007-07-28. Retrieved 2010-01-18.