|• Mayor||Carsten Rasmussen (S)|
|• Total||681 km2 (263 sq mi)|
(1 January 2012)
|• Density||120/km2 (310/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
Næstved is a municipality (Danish, kommune) in Region Sjælland on the island of Zealand (Sjælland) in the south of Denmark. The municipality includes the island of Gavnø. It covers an area of 681 km², and has a total population of 80,732 (2008). Its mayor is Carsten Rasmussen, a member of the Social Democrats (Socialdemokraterne) political party. The main town and the site of its municipal council is the town of Næstved.
On 1 January 2007, Kommunalreformen ("The Municipal Reform" of 2007) merged the Næstved municipality with existing Fladså, Fuglebjerg, Holmegaard, and Suså municipalities to form the new Næstved municipality, increasing the total urban area population to more than 80,000.
The ten largest urban areas in the municipality are:
- Gavnø Castle on the island of Gavnø has a large, beautiful park with seasonal flower displays. A magnificent display of spring bulbs can be seen during the month of May. The castle has an extensive collection of paintings. In addition to the castle and grounds, there is a church, a live, tropical butterfly collection, and a collection of historic firetrucks. It is open annually from mid-April until the end of August.
- The boat Friheden ("Freedom") runs regular, round-trip service from May–August. The 2½ hour trip starts in the center of Næstved, and goes through the Næstved Canal, to the Gavnø Castle, and out on Karrebæk Fjord to the town of Karrebæksminde before returning to Næstved. It is possible to disembark at Gavnø and at Karrebæksminde.
- Herlufsholm School is Denmark's oldest private boarding school.
- Susåen ("The Suså River"), Zealand's largest waterway and longest river, runs through Næstved.
St. Peter's Church in Næstved
- Municipal statistics: NetBorger Kommunefakta, delivered from KMD aka Kommunedata (Municipal Data)
- Municipal mergers and neighbors: Eniro new municipalities map
- Gavnø island (Danish only)
- Næstved area tourism bureau
- Næstved bibliotek
- Næstved municipality's official website (Danish only)
- NæstvedNyt (Video news)
- Sjølundkirken (Danish only)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Næstved Kommune.|