|Daily ridership||Based on Jan-Dec of 2012.
Line 2: 207,410
Shinbundang Line: 19,856
|Address||804 Yeoksam 2-dong,
303 Gangnamdaero Jiha,
|Date opened||December 23, 1982|
|Platforms/tracks||2 / 2|
|Address||825 Yeoksam-dong, Gangnam-gu, Seoul|
|Date opened||October 28, 2011|
|Platforms/tracks||2 / 2|
|Operator||NeoTrans Co. Ltd.|
Gangnam Station is a station in the Gangnam District of Seoul, on the Seoul Subway Line 2. This station serves as a crucial transfer point between Line 2 and buses to all over Seoul and southern Gyeonggi Province. It became the northern terminus of the Shinbundang Line on October 29, 2011, the southern terminus being at Jeongja Station.
Both stations have two tracks and two side platforms.
- December 23, 1982 - Line 2 station completed.
- October 29, 2011 - Shinbundang Line station completed.
The area surrounding the station is an important commercial and entertainment district. The station is located at the western end of Teheranno, home to many corporate headquarters and impressive towers, while the area immediately to the north of the station is densely packed with bars, restaurants and clubs. There are also many shops in the subway station below ground. In 2007, the area was the 10th most expensive shopping street in the world with an average rent of US$431 per square foot.
Line 2 runs on the right hand track, whereas the Shinbundang Line runs on the left hand track; this is because the Shinbundang Line is a national railway line (which typically runs on the left), while Line 2 is a subway line (which typically runs on the right in Seoul). This can be confusing to tourists making a transfer here, as many tourists are accustomed to riding on either the left-hand track or the right-hand track.
|Lobby||Customer Service, Shops, Vending machines, ATMs|
|Inner loop||← Line 2 toward Chungjeongno (Seoul Nat'l Univ. of Education)|
|Outer loop||→ Line 2 toward City Hall (Yeoksam) →|
|Southbound||→ Shinbundang Line toward Jeongja (Yangjae) →|
|Northbound||← Shinbundang Line Alighting passengers only (No service: Sinnonhyeon)|
In a survey conducted in 2011 by the Ministry of Land, Transport and Maritime Affairs on 92 Administrative divisions across the country, it reported that Gangnam Station had a daily average of 110,129 people boarding and 114,338 people alighting the subway. Making this the busiest public transit stop, with more than 100,000 people every day.
- Monthly Number of Passengers between Subway Stations. Korea Transportation Database, 2013. Retrieved 2013-10-15.
- "강남역" (in Korean). Doopedia. Retrieved 2015-09-02.
- "New York's Fifth Avenue tops the ranking of the world's most expensive shopping locations". Cushman & Wakefield Inc. 14 Nov 2007.
- Kwon, Sang-soo (12 September 2012). "City designates area by COEX as smoke-free". Joongang Daily. Retrieved 5 October 2012.
- Friday and Gangnam station attract the largest number of passengers, Money Today, August 7, 2005. (Korean)
- "Gangnam Busiest Subway Station in Korea". Chosun Ilbo. 23 April 2012. Retrieved 25 April 2012.
- "Skin Food<Headquarter Address". Skin Food official website. Retrieved 9 October 2012.
|Preceding station||Seoul Metropolitan Subway||Following station|
toward City Hall