Geology of Hong Kong
The geology of Hong Kong is dominated by Mesozoic volcanic and granite rocks, which together make up about 85% of the total land area. The remaining area is underlain by Palaeozoic meta-sedimentary rocks, Mesozoic to Cenozoic sedimentary rocks and superficial deposits.
The main faults in Hong Kong are oriented northeast-southwest, and northwest-southeast. They are generally of the same orientation as those in neighboring Guangdong Province.
Individual faults in South China can be traced over distances of up to 60 km. Some faults are associated with fracture zones up to 1 km wide, although most faults appear to be only a few meters wide. Although faults are recorded throughout the known geological history of Hong Kong, they are considered to have been most active during the Jurassic to Cretaceous periods when strike-slip and thrust faulting was dominant. Many of these faults are thought to represent reactivation of older structures. Some faults represent structures that were active during the period of Late Jurassic to Early Cretaceous magmatic activity and facilitated the rise of magma to the surface. Regional gravity and magnetic data have been used to identify the locations and depths of these structures in the upper crust.
- R.J. Sewell, S.D.G. Campbell, C.J.N. Fletcher, K.W. Lai & P.A. Kirk (2000): The Pre-Quaternary Geology of Hong Kong. Hong Kong Geological Survey Memoir, Geotechnical Engineering Office, Civil Engineering Department, Hong Kong SAR Government,181p. plus three 1:100,000 scale maps. ISBN 962-02-0299-6
- Fyfe, J.A., Shaw, R., Campbell, S.D.G., Lai, K.W. & Kirk, P.A. (2000): The Quaternary Geology of Hong Kong. Hong Kong Geological Survey Memoir, Geotechnical Engineering Office, Civil Engineering Department, Hong Kong SAR Government, 209p. plus six 1:100,000 scale maps. ISBN 962-02-0298-8
- Bernie Owen & Raynor Shaw (2001): Hong Kong Landscapes: Along the MacLehose Trail. The Geotrails Society, Hong Kong, 203p. ISBN 962-86376-1-4
- Bernie Owen & Raynor Shaw (2007): Hong Kong Landscapes: Shaping the Barren Rock. Hong Kong University Press, Hong Kong, 253p. ISBN 978-962-209-847-3
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Geology of Hong Kong.|
- Online Hong Kong Geological Survey Memoir
- The Geological Society of Hong Kong - 香港地質學會
- Geological overview of Hong Kong
|This Hong Kong location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|