|Current region||United States|
|Place of origin||Ireland|
|Estate(s)||J. Paul Getty Museum Complexes: |
Getty Research Institute
Getty Conservation Institute
The Getty family of the United States identify with George Franklin Getty and his son Jean Paul Getty as their patriarchs. In the 20th century they were heavily involved in the petroleum industry. The Getty family is of Scots-Irish ancestry from their patrilineal lineage, their ancestors having immigrated to North America from Cullavmor, County Londonderry, Ireland. Several members of the Getty family have lived in England, including Sir Paul Getty who took British citizenship.
George Getty (1855–1930) was a lawyer who became an independent oilman in 1904. He was married with one son, a daughter having died in infancy in a typhoid epidemic in Minneapolis, Minnesota. He lent his son Jean Paul money to invest in oil wells and in 1916, George and Jean Paul incorporated the Getty Oil Company, later to become Getty Oil.
The family members include:
- George Getty (1855–1930), American lawyer, married Sarah Catherine McPherson Risher (1853–1941)
- 1. George Franklin Getty II (1924–1973), by first wife Jeanette Demont (1904–1986). George first married Gloria Gordon in 1951, and divorced in 1967. George secondly married Jacqueline (Manewal) Riordan in 1971. Three daughters.
From the second wife, Allene Gladys Ashby (1909–1970), he never had children.
- 2. Jean Ronald Getty (1929–2009), by third wife Adolphine Helmle (1910–2009). Married Karin Seibl in 1964.
- 3. Sir Paul Getty (1932–2003), (born Eugene Paul Getty, also known as John Paul Getty II), by fourth wife Ann Rork (1908–1988). Married Abigail Harris in 1956 and divorced in 1964, married Talitha Pol in 1966, Pol died 1971, married Victoria Holdsworth in 1994.
- John Paul Getty III (1956–2011), (born Eugene Paul Getty, Jr.) son with Abigail Harris. Married Gisela Martine Zacher in 1974.
- Anna Getty, daughter of Gisela Zacher, adopted daughter of John Paul Getty III.
- Balthazar Getty (born 1975, as Paul Balthazar Getty), American actor, son of John Paul Getty III, married Rosetta Millington in 2000, four children.
- Cassius Getty (born 2000)
- Grace Getty (born 2001)
- Violet Getty (born 2003)
- June Getty (born 2007)
- Aileen Getty (born 1959), daughter with Abigail Harris. Married Christopher Wilding (son of actors Elizabeth Taylor and Michael Wilding), married Bartolomeo Ruspoli (son of Alessandro Ruspoli, 9th Prince of Cerveteri), two children.
- Mark Getty (born 1960, as Mark Harris Getty), founder of Getty Images, son with Abigail Harris. Married Domitilla Harding in 1982, three children.
- Alexander Parsifal Getty, married Tatum Yount in 2012.
- Joseph Anselm Getty, married Sabine Ghanem in 2015, two children.
- Ariadne Getty (born 1962), daughter with Abigail Harris. Married Justin Williams.
- Tara Gabriel Galaxy Gramophone Getty (born 1968), son with Talitha Pol. Married to Jessica Kelly, three children.
- 4. Gordon Peter Getty (born 1933), by fourth wife Ann Rork. Married Ann Gilbert in 1964, Gilbert died 2020, four children (and three others with Cynthia Beck).
- 5. Timothy Christopher Ware Getty (1946–1958), by fifth wife Louise Dudley Lynch (1913–2017).
- Glassman (2001), p. 14
- Pearson (1995), p. xii–xiii
- Jube Shiver Jr., "Gettys Resolve Dispute Over Trust", Los Angeles Times May 31, 1985.
- Pearson (1995), pg. 260
- Pearson (1995), pg. 240
- Whiting, Sam (September 14, 2020). "Ann Getty, SF society figure and philanthropist, dies at 79". San Francisco Chronicle.
- STEGER, PAT (June 21, 1999). "Fairy-Tale Wedding For Getty-Jarman In Napa Valley". SFGATE. Retrieved March 8, 2022.
- Almasy, Steve (April 1, 2015). "Andrew Getty, grandson of J. Paul Getty, dies at 47". cnn.com. CNN. Retrieved May 10, 2019.