Ghanchi (Delvadia/Modh/Modi/Sahu/Sahoo/Ganiga/Gandhi) is an other backward caste found in the states of Gujarat, Rajasthan, Jammu and various parts of India. Ghanchi also refers to a well-known family based in India Gujarat in the regions of Kolak. The Modh Ghanchi sub-caste is of (OBC). The Sahu, Teli, Ganiga, Vaniya Chettiar and other OBC, are related castes found in Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Delhi, Jharkhand, Maharashtra, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh, Odisha, Rajasthan Uttar Pradesh. and Tamil Nadu.
The name is of Indian origin, and means a businessman (producer and seller of oils) (Teli). The surname is commonly found in Lunavada, Surat, Navsari, Ahmedabad, Jammu Valsad, Bilimora as well as Ghanchi, Modh Ghanchi (Originally from Modhera, Gujarat), Saurashtra, Amreli, Bagasra, Bilkha, Bhavnagar, Junagadh, Kalol, Kadi, parts of Rajasthan Jodhpur, Pali, Sojat, Sumerpur, Mumbai. Ganiger & Ganiga shetty in karnataka. Those of the Gandla cast who extract oil from oil seed are known as the Gandla community.
Nowadays major number of this community is moving all around Gujarat including Kutch District, Gujarat. narendra modi teli cast
- Narendra Modi, the 15th Prime Minister of India. Modi belongs to the OBC (Other Backward Caste) Modh Ghanchi community, which is a Gujarati caste equivalent of Teli in Odisha, Jammu and Kashmir, UP and Bihar, Gandla in Andhra Pradesh. Modh refers to the town Modehra, from where his caste originated.
- People of India Gujarat Volume XXII Part One Editors R. B Lal, P.B.S.V Padmanabham, G Krishnan and M Azeez Mohideen pages 397 to 401
- "Ghanchis in Rajasthan want to be led by Narendra Modi". The Financial Express.
- Central List of Other Backward Classes (OBCs) for Gujarat
- Manish Kumar (7 May 2013). "Nitish Kumar's 'wait and watch' on Bihar BJP's latest Narendra Modi gimmick". NDTV.com.
- "Ambedkar's false groupies out of sync with his legacy".
- "'Modi is a Teli-Ghanchi OBC': BJP". DNA. Apr 23, 2014.
- "'Modi is a Teli-Ghanchi OBC': BJP". The Times of India.
- "dna special: 'Narendra Modi-is-an-OBC' campaign picks up in Bihar, but lacks steam in neighbouring UP". DNA. 2009-06-27. Retrieved 2009-06-27.
- "Ghulam Nabi Azad's jibe at Modi casteist: BJP". Times of India. 2009-06-27. Retrieved 2009-06-27.
- Bhagvadgomandal Encyclopedia (1928-1955)મોઢ બ્રાહ્મણ, વાણિયા, સુતાર અને ઘાંચીની એક જ્ઞાતિ. તે મૂળ ચાણસ્મા તાલુકાના મોઢેરા ગામની છે