Glen Eden, New Zealand
|Local authority||Auckland Council|
|Electoral ward||Waitakere Ward|
|Train station(s)||Glen Eden Railway Station|
|Southwest||Glen Eden West|
Glen Eden village is situated on West Coast Road. Most commercial premises in Glen Eden are either on this road or in Glen Mall, a small shopping centre nearby. Waikumete Cemetery is to the north of Glen Eden.
Glen Eden Railway Station is also located on West Coast Road, and has been expanded to accommodate the 'double tracking' on the western line. Glen Eden is home to a new library which opened in 2004, the Playhouse Theatre, and a RSA club. The Glenora Rugby League team plays at Glenora Park. It has the oldest registered Scouts club in the country.
Most housing is wooden, with a few old farmhouses, some 1930s art deco houses, and post-war bungalows and weatherboard houses. There is also more recent terrace housing.
Before the adoption of an Auckland Supercity in 2010, Glen Eden was under the local governance of the Waitakere City Council and the New Lynn Community Board.
The original Māori name for the area was Waikomiti. Because this name was similar to that of Waikumete Cemetery, residents requested a name change. Glen Eden was chosen from Mount Eden and the valleys and orchards of the area.
- Glen Eden School is a coeducational contributing primary (years 1-6) school with a decile rating of 3 and a roll of 359.
- Prospect School is a coeducational contributing primary (years 1-6) school with a decile rating of 2 and a roll of approximately 350.
- Waitakere Seventh-day Adventist School is a coeducational full primary school (years 1-8) with a roll of 42 and a decile rating of 2. A church school, it is integrated with the state system.
Sport and recreation
- Quickstats about Glen Eden East
- Gregory's Auckland & Surrounds Street Directory (3rd ed.). 2008. p. map 88. ISBN 978-0-7319-2048-8.
- Stephen Hart, ed. (2008). Where to Live in Auckland. Barbican Publishing. pp. 119–120. ISBN 978-0-473-14244-5.
- Alexander Wyclif Reed (1975). Place names of New Zealand. p. 139. ISBN 0-589-00933-8.
- Discover New Zealand:A Wises Guide (9th ed.). 1994. p. 17.
- Te Kete Ipurangi schools database: Glen Eden School
- "Schools / Homepage - Te Kete Ipurangi (TKI)". www.tki.org.nz. Retrieved 2016-10-19.
- Te Kete Ipurangi schools database: Waitakere Seventh-day Adventist School
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Glen Eden, New Zealand.|
- Glen Eden School website
- Glen Eden Community Protection Society website