Henderson, New Zealand
|Local authority||Auckland City|
|Train station(s)||Henderson Train Station|
|Northeast||Te Atatu South|
Henderson is a major suburb of Auckland, in the North Island of New Zealand. It is located 13 kilometres to the west of Auckland city centre, and two kilometres to the west of the Whau River, a southwestern arm of the Waitemata Harbour.
The suburb is in the Waitakere ward, one of the thirteen administrative divisions of Auckland City. It was named after early colonial settler Thomas Henderson, who started a timber mill in the area in ca. 1847 to process the kauri trees which were cut from the Henderson Valley, and upstream from the eastern flanks of the Waitakere Ranges.
Henderson features a large shopping and theatre complex, the Australian-owned Westfield WestCity shopping centre, with numerous other shops and large-scale stores also in the area.
At the northern end of Henderson, near the Lincoln Road motorway interchange, the Toroa, a historical ferry being restored, is a well-known local landmark.
Henderson High School is a secondary (years 9-13) school with a decile rating of 4 and a roll of 932. Henderson Intermediate is an intermediate (years 7-8) school with a decile rating of 3 and a roll of 531. The high school was founded in 1953 and the intermediate school was established by 1960.
There are two Catholic secondary schools, St Dominic's College, Henderson (for girls - opened in 1952, transferred to Henderson in 1967 - decile 6) and Liston College (for boys - opened in 1974 - decile 5).
Henderson School and Henderson South School are contributing primary (years 1-6) schools with a decile ratings of 3 and 2, and roll of 168 and 247, respectively. Henderson School was founded in 1873 and Henderson South School in 1967.
Both main walk- and cycleways of the Project Twin Streams go through the suburb.
- Quickstats about Henderson South
- "Henderson Heritage Trail". Waitakere City Council. Retrieved 5 January 2011.
- "Silky smooth aerial moves - Life & Leisure - The Aucklander News". Nzherald.co.nz. 2011-10-28. Retrieved 2013-12-30.
- "InterACT Disability Arts Festival". gatherandhunt.co.nz. Retrieved 2013-12-30.
- Te Kete Ipurangi schools database: Henderson High School
- Te Kete Ipurangi schools database: Henderson Intermediate
- "School Information - History". Henderson High School. Retrieved 2009-05-26.[dead link]
- Te Kete Ipurangi schools database: Henderson School
- Te Kete Ipurangi schools database: Henderson South School
- Hunt, Graeme (1978). Henderson Primary School: 125th Anniversary, 1873–1998. 125th Anniversary Organising Committee.
- N.Z. Henderson South School (Henderson) (1992). Henderson South School 25th Jubilee, 1967-1992.
- Te Kete Ipurangi schools database: Holy Cross School
- "Holy Cross School 75th Jubilee". Auckland Irish Society. Retrieved 2009-05-26.