This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (June 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Gong Beibi (Chinese: 龚蓓苾; pinyin: Gōng Beìbì) (born February 21, 1978 in Fujian, China) is a Chinese film and television actress. Beginning her career as a child actress, she later graduated from the prestigious Central Academy of Drama where she gained fame and popularity among young audiences in China after starring in several popular TV series and feature films in both China and Hong Kong. Due to her success while still a student, she became dubbed in the media at the time as "little Gong Li".
After graduating, she continued diversifying her roles with different projects, including Bus 44, which gained her critical acclaim in China, Europe, and North America where it premiered and won awards at the Venice Film Festival, Sundance Film Festival and Cannes Film Festival.
In 2005, Gong Beibi starred in the feature film Waiting Alone which opened to critical raves at the Tokyo Film Festival. The indie film was released nationwide in September 2005 and became a hit with youth audiences across China and one of the best reviewed and most talked about Chinese films the year. Later in the year, Waiting Alone was nominated for several awards including "Best Picture" at the Chinese Academy Awards (Golden Rooster Awards). Gong Beibi's memorable performance in Waiting Alone, which Variety magazine called "impressive", caught the attention of Hollywood.
In 2010, Gong co-starred with Aaron Kwok in Oxide Pang's thriller The Detective 2. In 2011, Gong starred alongside Academy Award winner Kevin Spacey and Daniel Wu in the dramedy/psychological suspense Inseparable. Inseparable was named one of The Wall Street Journal's Top 10 Most Notable Asian Films of 2011.
In 2017, Gong won the jury award for Best Actress at the Beijing Youth Film Festival for her starring role in the indie drama Lack of Love. She also was in the hit TV series Fighter of the Destiny and the monkey king comedy A Chinese Odessy: Love You a Million Years. Behind the scenes, she was a co-producer on the summer fantasy comedy indie hit Wished.
In 2018, Gong Beibi starred in the TV series The Flame's Daughter which had over 700 million hits in China, as well as, the surprise summer blockbuster hit, Dying to Survive, which is posed to become one of the biggest box office films in China. Gong Beibi will next be seen in the TV series remake of The Return of the Condor Heroes playing one of the iconic roles.
Graduated from Central Drama Academy in Beijing, China. She can speak Mandarin, Taiwanese (Hokkien), and English.
Selected acting filmography
- Beijing Hong Kong Love Connection (京港爱情线) (1997)
- The Lord of Hangzhou (杭州王爷) (1998)
- An Unusual Love (非常爱情) (1998)
- Sun Moon Star (星星月亮太阳) (1999)
- Bus 44 (车四十四) (2001) (Also Executive Producer)
- Waiting Alone (独自等待) (2004) * Nominated - Audience Favorite Actress / Beijing Students Film Festival
- The Ghost Inside (疑神疑鬼) (2005)
- Call for Love (爱情呼叫转移) (2007) * Nominated - Audience Favorite Actress / Beijing Students Film Festival
- Connected (保持通话) (2008)
- The Founding of a Republic (2009)
- Zhao Dan (赵丹) (2010) (TV series)
- The Detective 2 (B+侦探) (2011)
- Inseparable (形影不离) (2011)
- Lucky Dog (2013)
- The Buddha's Shadow (2014)
- Wo de hun yin shui zuo zhu (我的婚姻谁做主) (2015)
- Bad Bosses (恶老板) (2015)
- The Legend of Qin (live action TV series) (秦时明月) (2015)
- Ice Fantasy (幻城) (2016)
- Lack of Love (缺失的爱) (2017) * Won - Best Actress Award / Beijing Youth Film Festival
- Fighter of the Destiny (择天记) (2017)
- A Chinese Odyssey: Love You a Million Years (大话西游之爱你一万年) (2017)
- The Flame's Daughter (烈火如歌) (2018)
- Dying to Survive (我不是药神) (2018)
- The Return of the Condor Heroes (新神雕侠侣) (2019)
- "出道就有"小巩俐"之称，23岁享誉国际，如今40岁仍是冻龄女神". k.sina.com.cn. Retrieved 2018-07-20.
- 首都电影观众大调查 年轻人最认可宁浩伍仕贤_影音娱乐_新浪网
- "China box office: 'Dying To Survive' stays top, big-budget fantasy 'Asura' flops". Screen. Retrieved 2018-07-20.
- "Gong Beibi". imdb.com. Retrieved March 8, 2010.