|Born||1976 (age 42–43)|
Gordy Haab (born 1976) is a film, video game and television composer based in Los Angeles, California. His work has been featured in works associated with beloved franchises including most recently Star Wars Battlefront II, for which he won Video Game Score of the Year from the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers. Also in 2018, he was mentioned in Billboard as being the possible heir apparent to John Williams. Haab is also known for his work on Microsoft’s Halo Wars 2, for which he was nominated for a 2017 HMMA award. His score for Electronic Arts' Star Wars: Battlefront, won three awards at the 2016 GDC G.A.N.G. Awards: Music of the Year, Best Interactive Score, and Best Instrumental Score. Gordy has also been nominated for a BAFTA Games Awards for his work on 'Star Wars: Battlefront.'
Haab’s music has received much praise over the course of his career. His work and talent has been covered by numerous industry publications and many leading media outlets, including the HuffPost, which said, “Star Wars Battlefront is sounding better and better everyday...this new Star Wars music will light your saber.” in 2015, Hardcore Gamer was among the first to link Haab to his inspiration by saying, ‘‘'Star Wars Battlefront’ features the best game score John Williams never wrote.” The Los Angeles Times has also recognized Haabs's work, praising his composition style as, “the B-side to John Williams’ score,” and Billboard quoted Steve Schnur, the president of music for EA, as saying, "Gordy is one of the few composers in the world on [Star Wars creator George] Lucas’ short list."
Gordy developed an early interest in music when he was six and was particularly moved by the score of E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial. Gordy decided to pursue a career in the industry by attending the Virginia Commonwealth University, where he learned to compose music by hand and it remains his preferred composition method, telling The Sound Architect that, "I say this not to discredit the use of technology, because it also plays a major role in my process. But a piano, a blank page, and a pencil – and no screens glowing in my face – has a way of quieting my soul and allowing me to just, write." Haab received a bachelor’s degree in Jazz Music Composition in 1999. He then went on to the University of Southern California, where he received his master’s in Scoring for Motion Pictures in 2001.
Among numerous other projects, Haab scored Activision/AMC's The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct, based on the #1 hit TV series and Microsoft's Kinect: Star Wars, which won Best Music at the Hollywood Music In Media Awards. Haab continues to compose the music for Electrionic Arts and Bioware’s Star Wars: The Old Republic, for which he was awarded Best Original Soundtrack and Best Instrumental Music at the 10th Annual GDC G.A.N.G. Awards.
Haab is known for his unsurpassed understanding of the orchestra as well as his unique ability to blend contemporary and traditional sounds into one – often times conceiving and creating brand new musical instruments to feature in his scores. He has recorded and conducted his music with various groups from all around the world, including The London Symphony Orchestra, The San Francisco Symphony, The Nashville Symphony, London Voices and the Hollywood Studio Orchestra.
Haab's other film, television and video game credits include: Anchor Bay's ‘Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon;’ MTV's The Truth Below; Dave Barry's ‘Guide to Guys;’ Lionsgate's ‘War;’ The Oprah Winfrey Network’s The Judds; Roadside Attractions Shrink; ABC's Greek; VH-1's Scream Queens; LucasArts' Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings, and many others.
|2018||Star Wars Battlefront II||American Society of Composers, Authors, and Publishers||Video Game Score of the Year||Won|||
|2018||Crusaders of Light||Game Audio Network Guild Awards||Best Music in a Casual/Social Game||Nominated (Pending)|||
|2018||Halo Wars 2||Game Audio Network Guild Awards||Best Interactive Score||Nominated (Pending)|||
|2018||Halo Wars 2||Game Audio Network Guild Awards||Best Cinematic Cutscene Audio||Nominated (Pending)|||
|2018||Star Wars Battlefront II||Game Audio Network Guild Awards||Best Interactive Score||Nominated (Pending)|||
|2018||Star Wars Battlefront II||Game Audio Network Guild Awards||Best Cinematic Cutscene Audio||Nominated (Pending)|||
|2018||Star Wars Battlefront II||Game Audio Network Guild Awards||Music of the Year||Nominated (Pending)|||
|2018||Star Wars Battlefront II||Game Audio Network Guild Awards||Audio of The Year||Nominated (Pending)|||
|2017||Halo Wars 2||Music in Visual Media Awards||Original Score- Video Game||Nominated (Pending)|||
|2012||"Glory, The Galactic Republic" from Star Wars: The Old Republic||Game Audio Network Guild Awards||Best Original Instrumental Song||Won|||
|2012||Star Wars: The Old Republic -Collector's Edition Soundtrack||Game Audio Network Guild Awards||Best Original Soundtrack Album||Won|||
|2012||Kinect: Star Wars||Hollywood Music in Media Awards||Best Original Song-Video Game||Won|||
|2016||Star Wars: Battlefront||British Academy of Film and Television Awards (BAFTA) Awards||BAFTA Games Audio Achievement||Nominated|||
|2016||Star Wars: Battlefront||Game Audio Network Guild Awards||Best Interactive Score||Won|||
|2016||Star Wars: Battlefront||Game Audio Network Guild Awards||Music of the Year||Won|||
- Gordy Haab on IMDb
- Gordy Haab's Official Website
- Variety Magazine on 'Halo Wars 2'
- 2017 Grammy's Screen Categories- Variety Magazine
- "As Composer Gordy Haab Games the 'Star Wars' Universe, Could He Be John Williams' Heir Apparent?". Billboard. Retrieved 2018-06-02.
- "2018 ASCAP Screen Music Awards". www.ascap.com. Retrieved 2018-06-02.
- "2017 MUSIC IN VISUAL MEDIA NOMINEES".
- "2016 Awards". www.audiogang.org. Retrieved 2018-06-02.
- "BAFTA Games Awards 2016". BAFTA: Home of the British Academy of Film and Television Arts.
- "This New 'Star Wars' Music Will Light Your Sabre For 'Battlefront'". Huffington Post.
- "Star Wars Battlefront Features the Best Game Score John Williams Never Wrote". Hardcore Gamer.
- "How 'Star Wars Battlefront' created the B-side to John Williams' score". Los Angeles Times.
- "The Stellar Music of Battle Front II. An Interview With Gordy Haab". The Audio Spotlight.
- "Music Alumnus Gordy Haab on Composing Music for Star Wars". VCU Arts Newsroom.
- "Interview with Star Wars Battlefront I and II Composer, Gordy Haab - The Sound Architect". The Sound Architect. 2018-02-06. Retrieved 2018-06-02.
- "AMC's The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct GANG Submissions". SoundCloud.
- "Interview With Kinect Star Wars Composers". Pixelated Geek.
- "Hollywood Music in Media Awards Marco Beltrami Best Score for 'The Sessions'". Soundtrack.net.
- "2012 GANG Awards". Game Audio Network Guild.
- "Kinect Star Wars Soundtrack". SoundCloud.
- "Hollywood Studio Orchestra Credits". AllMusic.
- "Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) by Gordy Haab on Apple Music". Apple Music.
- "Guide to Guys". Complete Guide to Guys Official Website.
- "2018 ASCAP Screen Music Awards". American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers.
- "2018 G.A.N.G Awards". Game Audio Network Guild.
- "2017 Music in Visual Media Nominees". Hollywood Music In Media Awards.
- "2016 GANG Awards". Game Audio Network Guild.