|Location||Bay of Bengal|
|Adjacent bodies of water||Indian Ocean|
|Area||4,823.5 km2 (1,862.4 sq mi)|
|Highest elevation||0 m (0 ft)|
|Island group||Andaman Islands|
|Pop. density||0.00 /km2 (0 /sq mi)|
|Ethnic groups||Hindu, Andamanese|
|Telephone code||031927 |
|Avg. summer temperature||30.2 °C (86.4 °F)|
|Avg. winter temperature||23.0 °C (73.4 °F)|
|Official Languages||Hindi, English|
Great Andaman is the main archipelago of the Andaman Islands of India. It comprises seven major islands. From north to south, these are North Andaman, Interview Island, Middle Andaman, Long Island, Baratang Island, South Andaman, and Rutland Island.
South, Middle and North islands are the largest of the entire island group. The islands' capital, Port Blair, is located on South Andaman. Great Andaman group is often considered the counterpart to Little Andaman group, another group of islands in the Andaman's. The Andaman islands consist of five groups:
Narrow creeks split Great Andaman into North Andaman, Middle Andaman, South Andaman and the other major islands. All these islands are in the form of peaks of a submerged mountain chain. Each island has a central highland surrounded by bordering flat lands sloping in all directions and finally merged into coastal tracts.
According to the 2011 census of India, the archipelago had 315,530 inhabitants.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (September 2016)|
- "Islandwise Area and Population - 2011 Census" (PDF). Government of Andaman.
- "Sailing Directions (enroute) | India and the Bay of Bengal" (PDF) (173). National Geospatial-intelligence Agency, United States Government. 2014. Retrieved 2016-09-23.
- Registration Plate Numbers added to ISO Code
- "A&N Islands - Pincodes". 22 September 2016. Retrieved 22 September 2016.
- "STD Codes of Andaman and Nicobar". allcodesindia.in. Retrieved 2016-09-23.
- Andaman and Nicobar Islands travel guide from Wikivoyage
|This Andaman and Nicobar Islands location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|