Cafe at Guluguba on the Leichhardt Highway, 2014
|Area||434.1 km2 (167.6 sq mi)|
|LGA(s)||Western Downs Region|
Guluguba is both a town and a locality in the Western Downs Region in Queensland, Australia. In the 2011 census, Guluguba was counted together with neighbouring Wandoan and had a combined population of 655.
Guluguba Provisional School opened on 1 February 1917 on a half-time basis with Downfall Creek Provisional School which opened in March 1917. When the Downfall Creek school closed in 1918, Guluguba became a full-time school.
In 1940 at Downfall Creek, the local Lutheran community established a Lutheran Day School. Meanwhile, Guluguba State School had two temporary closures in 1942 and 1944 due to a lack of teacher accommodation.
In 1957, the Queensland Education Department was willing to provide a teacher to Downfall Creek so the Lutheran Church school became Downfall Creek Provisional School once again. It finally closed in 1962.
Guluguba State School is a government co-educational primary school (P-6) at Fosters Road. In 2016, the school had an enrolment of 6 students with 2 teachers (1 full-time equivalent) and 4 non-teaching staff (2 equivalent full-time).
- "Guluguba (town) (entry 14951)". Queensland Place Names. Queensland Government. Retrieved 28 April 2014.
- "Guluguba (locality) (entry 47706)". Queensland Place Names. Queensland Government. Retrieved 28 April 2014.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Wandoan (SSC)". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 28 April 2014.
- "Queensland Globe". State of Queensland. Retrieved 16 September 2017.
- Premier Postal History. "Post Office List". Premier Postal Auctions. Retrieved 10 May 2014.
- Queensland Family History Society (2010), Queensland schools past and present (Version 1.01 ed.), Queensland Family History Society, ISBN 978-1-921171-26-0
- "Annual Report 2016" (PDF). Guluguba State School. Archived (PDF) from the original on 16 September 2017. Retrieved 16 September 2017.
- "Meet Deb". Deb Frecklington MP. Archived from the original on 30 November 2017. Retrieved 29 November 2017.
- Bahnisch, Lyn; Stiller, Doris; Guluguba State School. Anniversary Committee (1992), Schools beside the track : 1917-1992 : celebrating the 75th anniversary of Guluguba State School : a history of Guluguba, Gurulmundi, Giligulgul and Downfall Creek Schools, Guluguba State School Anniversary Committee, ISBN 978-0-646-11955-7
- Partlett, Launa (1986), Guluguba pioneers : stories from a Queensland rural community, ISBN 978-0-9588195-0-3
- Stiller, Colin (2012), Those were the days, C. H. Stiller, ISBN 978-0-646-57299-4
Media related to Guluguba, Queensland at Wikimedia Commons