|Population||855 (2011 census)|
|LGA(s)||Western Downs Region|
Tara is on the Darling Downs. Immediately surrounding the urban area of Tara, there are a number of rural subdivisions of 'lifestyle blocks'. The blocks are usually between 13 and 40 ha in area. The population of the 2000 Rural Subdivision blocks exceeds that of the town itself.
Important industries in the area around Tara include wheat, beef, wool and gas.
On 14 March 2011 a blockade against coal seam gas development began at a property called Kenya near Tara. The following day a woman was arrested after she stopped the movement of a bulldozer working for Queensland Gas Company. The next month Bob Irwin was arrested and fined for participating in a rally at the same location. He was protesting against plans to build a coal seam gas pipeline.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Tara (L) (Urban Centre/Locality)". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 2016-04-19.
- "Tara - town (entry 33316)". Queensland Place Names. Queensland Government. Retrieved 20 January 2017.
- "Tara - locality (entry 47749)". Queensland Place Names. Queensland Government. Retrieved 20 January 2017.
- Lisa Martin (15 March 2011). "Great-granny arrested in gas blockade". Sydney Morning Herald. Fairfax Media. Retrieved 15 March 2011.
- "Bob Irwin fined over gas protest". ABC News. Australian Broadcasting Corporation. 18 May 2011. Retrieved 25 June 2011.
- "Oil town has". The Australian Women's Weekly. 29, (42). Australia, Australia. 21 March 1962. p. 4. Retrieved 20 January 2017 – via National Library of Australia.
- Cooke, Glenn R (2009). "Hugh Sawrey: Biography". Design & Art Australia Online. Archived from the original on 20 January 2017. Retrieved 20 January 2017.
- A History of Tara and District with Addenda 1840-1960 by Hector M Ferguson.
- Tara Shire History 1840-1988 by Tara & Districts Historical Society.
Media related to Tara, Queensland at Wikimedia Commons
- University of Queensland: Queensland Places: Tara
- TravelMate article
- Surat Basin Corporation article on Tara
|This Queensland location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|