|Elevation||608 m (1,995 ft)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Gurumatkal was established as a Town Municipal Council (TMC) in the year 1957.Syed Gulam Dastageer was founder of Gurmatkal and later was downgraded to a town panchayat in the year 1984. Gurumatkal town is situated forty-one kilometres from Yagir District Headquarters along the Bijapur-Hyderabad Highway. Gurumatkal is at a distance of about 650 km from state capital city of Bangalore and 110 km from the town of Gulbarga. The nearest airport is at Hyderabad which is 265 km from the town. The nearest railway station is Yadgir. The main source of transportation is by road. Gurumatkal is a tourist town, but the inhabitants mainly depend on agriculture. The water supply mainly depends on borewells.
The area of the town is 3.50 square kilometres (1.4 sq mi). As of the 2001 census there were four wards, but by the 2011 census there were 17 wards. As of 2001, the town panchayat had 46 km of roads of which 25 km were surfaced. As of 2011[update] India census, Gurmitkal has a population of 20,631, up from 16,927 in the 2001 census. Males constitute 50% of the population and females 50%. Gurmatkal has an average literacy rate of 50%, lower than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 60%, and female literacy is 40%. 15% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Gurmitkal has an ayurvedic hospital, Sri Vaidya Bhujangrao Memorial Hospital, which specializes in curing paralysis patients and has been run by the same family for two generations.
There are several spiritual places near Gurmitkal such as Yanagundi of 'Sri Sri Sri Mahayogini Manikeshwari Matha' and Mothakpalli which has a famous Hanuman temple. There is also a waterfall called as 'Dhab dabi', located 5 km away from the town on the way to Nazrapur Village. And there is also a spiritual place and water fall called 'Gvisiddalingeshwar', located at the village Chinthanahalli. and there is also a hill station temple called sri laxmi timmappa temple located at the village borabanda tanda Here also have a good studies for children,s in C.B.S.E syllabus at SLT public school chandriki road gurmitkal
Banadesh Shivacharya Vastradmath spiritual seeker and early once or twice visites Himalayan valley (Uttaranchal State) for Saldana.
- "Gurmatkal Population Census 2011". Office of the Registrar General & Census Commissioner, India. Archived from the original on 12 December 2016.
- "City Town Statistics". Gurumatkal Town Panchayath. 12 July 2012. Archived from the original on 20 July 2012.
- "Village wise statistics of Yadgir Taluka". Yadgir district. Archived from the original on 6 February 2013.
- Census 2011: Gurmitkal TP town code: 803218, Gurmitkal rural code: 621264
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Registrar General & Census Commissioner, India. Archived from the original on 16 June 2004.
6 "≈ http://www.onefivenine.com/india/assembly/Karnataka/Gurmitkal ≈" List of Polling booths in Gurmitkal Assembly Constituency