Gyeongsun of Silla
|Gyeongsun of Silla|
|King of Silla|
|Predecessor||Gyeongae of Silla|
(Taejo of Goryeo as the King of Goryeo)
|Died||978 (aged 81–82)|
Kingdom of Goryeo
|Crown Prince Maui|
|House||House of Kim|
|Gyeongsun of Silla|
|Revised Romanization||Gyeongsun wang|
|Revised Romanization||Gim Bu|
|Monarchs of Korea|
A sixth-generation descendant of King Munseong, he was the son of Hyogong by Princess Gyea, who was the daughter of King Heongang. His wife was Lady Jukbang (죽방부인) of the Juksan Park clan, his eldest son was Crown Prince Maui, and his youngest son was Beomgong.
Gyeongsun was placed on the throne by the Hubaekje king Gyeon Hwon after the Hubaekje forces sacked Gyeongju in 927. The kingdom was already in an extremely weakened state, so Gyeongsun reigned over a tiny remnant of the former Silla territory until finally abdicating in favour of Taejo of Goryeo in 935. He remarried Taejo's daughter Princess Nangrang (낙랑공주) and was appointed sasim-gwan (사심관, inspector-general) of Gyeongju, becoming the first of Goryeo's sasim-gwan system. He lived out the remainder of his life near the Goryeo capital (modern-day Kaesong).
- Father: King Shinheung of Silla (신흥대왕)
- Grandfather: King Uiheung of Silla (의흥대왕)
- Mother: Grand Princess Gyea of the Gyeongju Kim clan (계아태후 김씨)
- Grandfather: King Heongang of Silla (? – 886) (신라 헌강왕)
- Consorts and their Respective Issue:
- Lady Jukbang of the Juksan Bak clan (죽방부인 박씨)
- Princess Nakrang of the Kaesong Wang clan (낙랑공주 왕씨)
- Princess Wang of the Kaesong Wang clan (공주 왕씨) – No issue.
In popular culture
- Portrayed by Shin Hwi-shik in the 2000–2002 KBS TV series Taejo Wang Geon.
- Portrayed by Lee Do-ryun in the 2002–2003 KBS TV series The Dawn of the Empire.
- (in Korean) King Gyeongsun Archived 2011-06-10 at the Wayback Machine at Encyclopedia of Korean Culture
- (in Korean) King Gyeongsun at Doosan Encyclopedia
- (in Korean) Crown Prince Ma-ui at Doosan Encyclopedia
- Shinheung is a posthumous title, his real name was Kim Hyo-jong.
- Uiheung is a posthumous title, his real name was Kim Sil-hong.
- First daughter of Taejo of Goryeo and Queen Sinmyeongsunseong.
- Later married Hwang Gyeong.
- Later married Lee Geum-Seo.
- Daughter of Taejo of Goryeo and Lady Seongmu of the Pyeongsan Park clan.