|Born||24 October 1958|
Munich, West Germany
|Education||Ph.D.(mechanical engineering, production technologies) 1987|
|Occupation||Chairman of Management Board, CEO, Chairman of Volkswagen Brand Board of Management|
|Board member of||Audi AG, Volkswagen AG, SEAT S.A., Škoda Auto, Porsche Holding GmbH, others|
Herbert Diess (born 24 October 1958) is the chairman of the board of management of Volkswagen Group as well as the chairman of the board of management of the Volkswagen Passenger Cars brand. In 2018 he was named one of the "Best CEOs in the World" by the CEOWORLD magazine.
Diesel Emissions Scandal
As the current CEO of Volkswagen, Herbert Diess was prosecuted, along with and Hans Dieter Pötsch, the chairman of the supervisory board of Volkswagen, on September 24, 2019, for the manipulation of Volkswagen's diesel emissions. Shareholders were[clarification needed] withheld from being informed about the huge financial implications due to the falsified diesel emissions. The scandal then gained media attention which highlights German law. German law requires top executives to inform shareholders about significant financial risks and issues. This follows after the investigation of finding that Volkswagen's rigged millions of diesel cars worldwide to cheat on emissions tests which led the company to lose over $30 billion. As a result the spurious information, the stocks plummeted almost 40 per cent. However Volkswagen defended themselves: "The company has meticulously investigated this matter with the help of internal and external legal experts for almost four years ... the result is clear: the allegations are groundless."
- "Executive Bodies - Volkswagen Group". www.volkswagenag.com.
- "Best CEOs in the World 2018". Archived from the original on 7 November 2018. Retrieved 1 March 2021.
- "Volkswagen's CEO and chairman charged in Germany over diesel emissions scandal".
- New wave; Volkswagen The Economist. 430.9134 (16 March 2019): p. 58. Word count: 571.
- Crain, K.C.; et al. (12 November 2018), "Big changes ahead, 'big potential' in U.S. Q&A: Herbert Diess.", Automotive News
- Vellequette, P. Larry (5 November 2018), "Growth Mode; VW wants more U.S. production capacity and could trade platforms with Ford, CEO Herbert Diess says.", Automotive News
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Herbert Diess.|