|Member of the|
San Francisco Board of Supervisors
from District 9
|Assumed office |
January 9, 2017
|Preceded by||David Campos|
|Residence||San Francisco, California|
|Alma mater||University of California, San Diego (BA)|
University of California, Berkeley (JD)
|Profession||Civil Rights Attorney|
|Website||Board of Supervisors|
District 9 website
Education and early career
Ronen received her B.A. from University of California, San Diego and her J.D. from University of California, Berkeley. After graduating, she moved to the Mission District where she joined La Raza Centro Legal. She worked as an immigrant rights attorney.
Ronen was a legislative aide to supervisor David Campos. She succeeded him on the San Francisco Board of Supervisors after winning election to the board in November 2016. Ronen was sworn in as the supervisor for San Francisco District 9 on January 9, 2017. Her election created a female majority on the board for the first time in 20 years.
In 2018, Ronen fought to prevent the construction of a 75-unit building on the site of a laundromat. She argued that an environmental review of the building did not consider the impact of a shadow on a nearby schoolyard, even though an environmental review conducted by officials at the San Francisco Planning Department showed that the new construction, including its shadow, would not have an adverse impact on children at the schoolyard. In October of that same year Ronen dropped her opposition, stating that the appeal process seeking to halt the project had been exhausted, thus allowing the project to proceed.
Ronen is married to attorney Francisco Ugarte. They live in the Bernal Heights neighborhood with their daughter.
- "District 9 | Board of Supervisors". sfbos.org.
- "Hillary's Story - Hillary Ronen for D9 Supervisor". Hillary Ronen for D9 Supervisor.
- Joe Rivano Barros (November 30, 2016). "In First Post-Election Interview, Hillary Ronen Talks Trump and SF Mission". Mission Local. Retrieved March 12, 2017.
- V. Alexandra de F. Szoenyi (January 29, 2017). "New District 9 Supervisor Hillary Ronen Talks Affordable Housing, Transit, More". Hoodline. Retrieved March 12, 2017.
- Heather Knight (January 6, 2017). "Women's rise to power in SF a glimmer of hope in politics". San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved March 12, 2017.
- "Developer threatens to sue as SF Supes delay Mission project - Mission Local". missionlocal.org. Retrieved 2018-06-20.
- "How the developer of SF's 'historic' laundromat quietly won - Mission Local". missionlocal.org. Retrieved 2019-07-09.
- Heather Knight (October 24, 2016). "SF District 9 supervisor candidates pledge to listen to residents". San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved March 12, 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hillary Ronen.|